Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another Tyre question I'm afraid!!
Sporty

posted on 3/6/15 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Another Tyre question I'm afraid!!

Need to put some new tyres on the Locost, at present they are 185/60 R14 which seems like an odd size when I look for the sort of tyres recommended on here.

So what are my options, don't need an ultimate grip tyre but want to be confident on whats underneath me. Generally road use.

Can I change for a slightly different more standard size without changing the wheel or having to alter the cycle wings (these are a bit snug with the existing tyre)

Thanks

Ian

alex1991

posted on 3/6/15 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
185/60/14 is the standard 14 inch size. 14!inch are very cheap for tyres, just not as many sporty tyres but they are out there.
What tyres have you got presently ? And what spec car?

In your size you get vredestein sportrac 5 which is a far better tyre than any of the road going toyo tyres (t1r). Then you have the premium brands.

If you want to venture on track you can get the nankang ns2r cheap in a 14. Toyo r888 and the yokohamas are all over £100 but there like that what ever size.

Sporty

posted on 3/6/15 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Alex,

Thanks for the reply it is a book chassis 7 with a Zetec 2l in it. The tyres at the present time are a mix of cheap tyres that where on when I bought it, I am thinking of going down to 55's just to get a bit more space in the wheel arch.

Ian

JAG

posted on 3/6/15 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
I got 4 x Toyo R888's in 185/60/14 for £400 fitted last Summer.

They are very grippy and look very nice on the car - my only complaint...

...it's much more difficult to slide the car around on island's and bends but that's kind of the point so I can't complain too much

[Edited on 3/6/15 by JAG]

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 3/6/15 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Nankang ns2r tyre leader do them for £57 each got them on my striker very good in the wet and dry .
alex1991

posted on 3/6/15 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Well whatever tyre you fit will be an improvement, so no wrong choice to be made

I've had Nankang NS2-R on my tintop and they were very good. At £57 per tyre they are cheaper than the R888 or similar and perform close enough.
I didn't find them progressive though, I was in a fwd tin top and had some scary moments of oversteer, so I imagine this could be worse on a seven.

I'm tempted to go for a decent road tyre myself, as I'll only go on track 2 to 3 times a year. With my novice RWD skills I think I would like the safer and progressive road tyre characteristics and get track tyres next time.
This is assuming that road tyres behave like this on a car like a seven?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.