Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Norway - Cruising the Fjords
perksy

posted on 22/1/17 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Norway - Cruising the Fjords

Long shot this one

Has anybody any experience of cruising the Norwegian fjords from the UK ?

If you have what was it like ? Things to look out for ? Is it as expensive as it looks ?

Early days yet, but summat i'm looking at

PM if you'd rather

Thanks

[Edited on 22/1/17 by perksy]

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 22/1/17 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I went a couple of years ago lovely scenery and we found Norway not as expensive as we were told we went from Southampton on emerald princess the weather can be very changeable so take lots of clothes for all weathers we went in August and had all sorts of weather it's a lovely country and found the People very friendly. Sailing direct from Britain was great as you don't have a baggage limit and sailing out of Southampton past the Isle of Wight was amazing .i think the best time of the year to go is June /July as the days are longer .
spaximus

posted on 22/1/17 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Did this in 2015 and even though I was not looking forward to it, my wife was, it was very good. The thing that adds up the costs are the excursions that you do. My advice is choose the company, we used P&O and then look at the ports and if you go on line then you can see all the excursions from each port.

Certain ones we did were not worth the money and in Bergen, you can walk from the port to the centre easily and just hop on the city tours bus for a fraction of what they will charge you.

Meals are pricey but most just fill up at breakfast and then have a cake at lunch time and coffee.

The scenery is fantastic, so get a cabin with a balcony so you can sit and see it drift past.

Weather is changeable and even in summer, when we got to the top of the glacier it was snowing!! It was so funny watching people in flip flops moaning.

We did a 7 day cruise which was a good starter one. North sea on the way back the captain said would be a bit bumpy, 15 foot swells was uncomfortable for some but only downside was pools were closed for me. Once in the fjords it was mill pound.

Do not expect no crowds, we arrived at one port at the end of a Fjord and we joined by two other ships, The locals were in the hundreds and 9000 tourists got off onto buses. The air was like London as the ships and buses pumped out fumes, which due to no wind just hung in the air.

As I said I really enjoyed the whole thing and would do it again as we missed things by not being organised enough

JMW

posted on 23/1/17 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
when to go

My father-in-law was Norwegian, he would only go back in July/August.

We went for a week in July a couple of years ago to the west coast - Bergen and northward and it more or less rained all week, so you take your chance. I've also been when it was hot and sunny. I agree with all the previous positive comments about the country. It's visually stunning.

llionellis

posted on 24/1/17 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
I want to be one of those boring people that answer a question that hasn't been asked! I wanted to go on a fjord cruise but ended up doing a road trip.
As an alternative to a cruise four of us booked cheap flights to Oslo and hired a car. Our ten day trip loosely followed a route from Oslo - Flam - Bergen - Kristiansund - Lillehammer - Oslo. We pre booked all the accommodation before leaving and ensured that all the road time gave us plenty of time to see the various sights enroute. One unscheduled overnight stay for me was at the hospital in Bergen (I'm better now thanks for asking)! I will take a fjord cruise at some time. Our road trip was brilliant and not all that expensive , snow, glaciers, waterfalls. mountains, tunnels, railways, and best of all great people who fortunately speak far better English than my Norwegian. LOVED IT!!!!

perksy

posted on 1/2/17 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that everyone

Some good advice to mull over

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.