Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: x flow distributor upgrade advice please
timB

posted on 2/6/18 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
x flow distributor upgrade advice please

My points! have just fallen apart, so I want to know what the obvious, quick to fit, upgrade is for a 1600 x flow please? I'm cash rich-ish, but time poor (small kids) so I want to keep it simple please.

Something like a £35 "Powerspark Electronic Ignition" points replacement?(not posting ebay links because I don't want to get banned),
or do I need to spend £75 notes on the whole distributor? At the moment, I just want to keep it running and I'm very tempted to just get points because I know what I'm doing with them but I thought I'd ask first as I'm hopelessly out of date on these things.

Thanks,

gremlin1234

posted on 2/6/18 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
yes the
http://www.simonbbc.com/electronic-ignition-kits
kits work well.
last time I did one, (a vw polo,) it was only a few quid more for the whole distributer and cap, replacing all the older (and worn) items.

myke pocock

posted on 2/6/18 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
On my 1300 x flow I fitted a distributor and I believe the attendant coil from a Valencia x flow engine = no points. Mind you finding one now may be a problem.
steve m

posted on 2/6/18 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got one of these on my crossflow, been on it for years, and never let me down

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AccuSpark-Stealth-Electronic-Ignition-Points-Conversion-Kit-For-LUCAS-45D/151154977555?epid=1487676112&hash=item233189e b13:g:mBMAAOSwqu9VCXpV

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

mcerd1

posted on 3/6/18 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
You could just stick another set on points in for now and start the upgrade to a distributorless setup, no need to rip out the old setup untill the new ones ready

Something like megajolt would need you to fit a trigger wheel to the crank pulley and mount the sensor, would only need a TPS sensor if your running a multi carb setup. After that it's only a few wires a new coil pack to mount.

then eventually you can remove the dizzy altogether once your happy all in ok and make a blanking plug for the hole. (i made a couple for folk before)

and one just appeared in the for sale section too:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=212609

quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
On my 1300 x flow I fitted a distributor and I believe the attendant coil from a Valencia x flow engine = no points. Mind you finding one now may be a problem.

Can't be from the original Valencia engine (ie mk1 fiesta) as they still have points too

Modern replacement points never seem to that well made now, had a few fall apart on my mk1 fiesta (my daily driver in 2003)

[Edited on 3/6/2018 by mcerd1]

-

ianminki

posted on 3/6/18 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
hi Steve

I used accuspark kit £94 .oo for full kit very good and simple to fit came with coil distributer plugs cap all fitting guide's regards ian

briarswood57

posted on 3/6/18 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,

As per Ian's comments i fitted an accuspark kit ( distributor, coil etc.) last week and it works a treat. I did think about just getting the £35.00 kit but I wanted the easiest and quickest replacement. It was simple to fit - came as complete unit and just works.

Anything else I looked at was either more expensive or would require loads more setup. This was by far the easiest solution - like yourself i am time poor (kids etc) But this provided a couple of hours of car tinkering but manageable to get up and running without spending multiple days at it because you don't have the right trigger wheel etc etc. if you are currently running a points setup probably a worthwhile upgrade anyway.

The fitting instructions are fairly basic but if you want a look U2U me your email and I'll scan a copy across.

Cheers. Andrew

timB

posted on 6/6/18 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replies. I've only just worked out I've got a (FoMoCo) Motorcraft distributor. It appears to me to be a choice between getting a new Accuspark 23d dissie or the powerspark upgrade kit, with the rotor and cap. If I go 23d then I lose the vacuum advance, which is probably the way to go.

Cheers,

mcerd1

posted on 6/6/18 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Loosing the vac advance will hurt your fuel economy and probably your throttle response too

-

timB

posted on 6/6/18 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, powerspark it is
rusty nuts

posted on 9/6/18 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
I used a Valencia distributor, coil and I think the ignition wiring from a month 2 Fiesta, worked a treat

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.