Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Powerfab or other towable digger.
po79

posted on 31/1/22 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Powerfab or other towable digger.

Hi,

I know this isn't a parts wanted but it is kind of car related.

I am looking for a Powerfab type mini digger to help with my garage/workshop build. Outbuilding to demolish, concrete pad to remove and deep footings to dig.

I'll consider almost anything in any condition, they are quite simple so a machine needing renovation could be ok.

If this post is against the rules I'll understand if it is removed.

Please PM me if you know for any thing.

Thanks,

Po79.

mark chandler

posted on 31/1/22 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I had a powerfab 180c for around 8 years, useful bit of kit but not really heavy enough to push down into the ground, once you were drawing it back towards the blade it was fine. You will struggle lifting a concrete slab - they are better suited to trenching.

The towable ones will be half the weight of the 180c (crawler with tracks) so I think you would really struggle with one of those.

https://www.lectura-specs.com/en/model/construction-machinery/mini-excavators-powerfab/180-c-14198

I now have a kubuto which is around 1.5 - 2. tons, maybe a little more which is much easier to use.

The little petrol engines on powerfabs really annoy you after a while, saying all that it was great to have and did not lose any money.

Beware of a renovation project, new ram seals £150, pump £200 - hoses are not cheap so you can easily sink a lot into something like that. Make sure they let you get it nice and hot then go dig something before purchase, if worn out when hot it may become feeble.

[Edited on 31/1/22 by mark chandler]

po79

posted on 1/2/22 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info.

Sadly I actually know how limited these are but still want one!???

I knew the hydraulic hoses are expensive but don't realise how ram seal kits have shot up in price so thanks for the heads up.

Not really expecting a Powerfab to break up the slab more just lift it's corners enough so I can whack it with a sledge to break it.

The trench is where it'll earn it's keep, as you point out this is what they are truly useful for.

In the real world I could just hire a tracked digger in for a couple weeks but where is the fun in that.

Cheers,

Po79.

mark chandler

posted on 2/2/22 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
I was digging some foundations, hiring at £125 a day quickly adds up so purchased my 180c and it had paid for itself within a few weeks then got pulled out for all sorts of little jobs, my neighbours also borrowed it.

It’s a bit like a welder or a lathe, once you have one they have many uses such as moving engines around 👍

Look for a crawler, not one that you use the bucket to drag it around, having the front blade makes all the difference for stability and the machine moving rather than the bucket!

I was busy digging today 😀

po79

posted on 3/2/22 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
The photo looks aren't working for me.
Are the tracked models re-badged from other manufacturers?
They seem quite rare and is worry about parts.

Cheers,

Po.

mark chandler

posted on 4/2/22 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
It was made by powerfab

Try this site

https://www.oilyhands.co.uk/Powerfab_180C-digger.htm

They pop up occasionally on eBay etc.

Not having a rotary table is not a problem, just less to go wrong really as you can merrily dig holes and fill a dumper alongside.

Cheers

Mark

[Edited on 4/2/22 by mark chandler]

hobbsy

posted on 5/2/22 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Is this of any use?

https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/forum/sale/hanix-micro-digger-08t

po79

posted on 5/2/22 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Hobbsy,

Over budget in afraid.

Although I'd consider anything the Towable units are of more interest and more likely to be affordable.

Thanks again,

Po.

po79

posted on 21/2/22 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies and info.

All sorted now.

Picked up a nice little Gopher G80 towable digger this weekend.

Let the fun begin!!!

Cheers,

Po.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.