Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mac#1 on the track for first time
DarrenW

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Mac#1 on the track for first time

Guess who this is? And no - im not leading the pack!!!! I was the mobile traffic jam! Had a fantastic day in the wet. Rescued attachment Boro trackday 27-3-06 047c.jpg
Rescued attachment Boro trackday 27-3-06 047c.jpg

DarrenW

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Heres another one - sorry about the size!

[Edited on 28/3/06 by DarrenW]

DarrenW

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Rescued attachment Boro trackday 27-3-06 011c.jpg
Rescued attachment Boro trackday 27-3-06 011c.jpg

DarrenW

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Car ran faultlessly all day. Many thanks to Mookaloid for helping tweek the timing.
I learnt a lot yesterday, rain meant i was able to get a feeling for the car at slower speeds - great fun. Also learnt that DD2 i sgreat but can tell you too much if not set up correctly!!! Now reset the alarms and able to enjoy the car a lot more - thanks to Mac#1 for the pit lane telemetry (via mobile phone!) advice.

Cant wait for the next outing..........

had a fantastic passenger ride in Mookaloids car - nearly shat myself on first lap!!! I quickly came to the conclusion that more power is not necessarily good (although i need to get to same level as marks!). Any more than that and you can get into a lot of bother on technical tracks. Only problem now is that my ongoing project list has just got bigger!

zilspeed

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Call me a Killjoy

Firstly - I apologise for being a killjoy.

Your rollbar......

The line(s) I have added to the pic is where the helmeted heads of you and your passenger should fit underneath while belted into the car. From the top of the roll structure to the front of the structure of the car - i.e. where the chassis stops.
Would you not think of changing that for something a bit taller and with some rear stays or even better a removable petty strut ?

Sorry for my negativity and I'm glad you had a great day out. Rescued attachment Roll bar.JPG
Rescued attachment Roll bar.JPG

jos

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good dw. You can really see the concentration in your face in the second pic

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

DarrenW

posted on 28/3/06 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
You had to concentrate coming out of that corner - it was a right bugger especially for a track novice like me. A lot of people had fun there.
A couple of times i let the faster cars past then followed them through the complex only to have them spin off in front of me!!! I must have been doing something right. I wasnt at all quick but did try and get the lines right - might as well learn properly from the start.

Zil - no offence taken, you are bang on right. Ive never seen a pic of me on the track before so learning all the time. At the moment at my snail pace there not much chance of a roll. The bar looks a tad lower than it is in reality due to camera angle. My roll bar isnt braced so to be honest is more for show than protection. I like the look of the full cage but dont have the cash at the moment, nor do i want the extra weight right now. Maybe something else for my ever growing future project list.

mookaloid

posted on 28/3/06 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
I'm pleased you enjoyed the ride out

Hope your pants are ok

Cheers

Mark

PAUL FISHER

posted on 28/3/06 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
looks like you were having fun,I bet those red and white painted chevrons were extra slippery.
mookaloid

posted on 28/3/06 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
looks like you were having fun,I bet those red and white painted chevrons were extra slippery.

The bits in between weren't exactly grippy either

Hellfire

posted on 28/3/06 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I think the lines of angle between the roll bar and front although correct will be the least of his worries...

Oh - "You Killjoy"

Guinness

posted on 28/3/06 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The bits in between weren't exactly grippy either

You're supposed to drive round on the black bit in between the stripy bits? That'll be where I was going wrong then!!

Mike

DarrenW

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
I tried keeping to the black bits between that chicaine - trust me that was far too slippy in the wet. The painted bits were the only grippy section. I gauged the correct line when i felt my right arm getting pressure washed!!!! Twas mighty fun in the wet. I was one of a few who didnt go gardening or raking the gravel! Maybe i wasnt driving hard enough.

The good news is im no longer a virgin!!

The becs sounded good. Almost matched by the flame throwing Cossie turbo 4WD Dax!!!!

coozer

posted on 28/4/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like you had a great time there marra, just a quick point - do you ever do any work?

Seriously though from the picture it looks like your lid is bit on the small side, can see a lot of your brow there!

[Edited on 28/4/06 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

DarrenW

posted on 28/4/06 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe i should point at this point that i used to work with Coozer but now work for a supplier to his company. Unfortunately he knows me too well so when he asks if i ever do any work - i simply must decline from entering into the discussion!!!!!!! However one point that can be made is that the law of the stag rules apply!!!!

Great fun at Teesside autodrome - very small tight technical track. I had great fun. It was drier to be on the track rather than standing in the pit area.

[Edited on 28/4/06 by DarrenW]

coozer

posted on 29/4/06 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
I didnt realise there was a track at Teeside. Is it a track day and how much does it cost? Are you limited to how many laps and are you put into a group with similar cars?

Psst, can you see if Mac#1 are offering any discounts at Stoneliegh please Darren??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

jos

posted on 29/4/06 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Doubt it. I dont think theyre exhibiting there.

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.