Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V12 engines
Ernesto Freitas

posted on 14/6/03 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
V12 engines

Anyone?

I need help on how a V12 engine works!

I really need to know info about timing, crankshaft, camshaft...

It could be about BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Jaguar or others...

Thank you very much!

Best Regards from Portugal
Ernesto Freitas

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
UncleFista

posted on 16/6/03 at 01:16 AM Reply With Quote
This is a site that has info on mounting them to kit cars but not much in the way of technical data

click here

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

stephen_gusterson

posted on 16/6/03 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.nettally.com/palmk/jaguar.html

dowload the 'experience in a book'.

this guy has maintained that document for years, and its made up of stuff from a list a bit like this, comprising many peoples experience.

Its all about the xjs, but talks a fair deal about the V12 motor.

atb

steve

Ernesto Freitas

posted on 16/6/03 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks!

I appreciate your help!

Ernesto Freitas

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 16/6/03 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
since when has V12 engines and locost builders been together??

v12 engines = VERY EXPENSIVE! in every way from looking at them to building them to starting them, I could not afford to drive one on my driveway let alone on the road

Locost builders = mmmm, name says it all

stephen_gusterson

posted on 16/6/03 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I had a V12 xjs for a couple years which I sold 3 years ago.

you can pick up one for a few thousand.

since I have looked on ebay in the last year, SEVERAL V12 motors have come up and they go for silly money - like 100 - 200 quid.

Be a bit of a squeeze to get in a locost tho.

atb

steve

ps

does 13mpg if pushed, 16mpg if careful , and 22 if pussy footed on a run. Thats in a 1800 kilo car tho with a shyte 3 speed auto.

TEXAS-HOTROD

posted on 16/8/03 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
I have a V-12 project that I am working on and I can also say that is low cost.
I have worked on Jags before and really don't care for the design, what I found to fit the bill is a Bimmer M-70, 5.0 V-12.
It was a clean engine but the cross manifolds made it look huge. Everything was stripped off and all the electronics were removed. Started out just bare bones.
First I fabricated a "tunnel-ram" style intake manifold. I used 1 3/4 inch diameter (I'm from the U.S.) tubing to make the intake runners. Usung 1/16" sheet metal I made an upper plenum. The head plates were made from 3/8" aluminum plate and all the ports were matched. It will have 3 Weber 40-I.D.F. carbs on top. A true 6-pack.
The next step was the ignition system. I wanted something durable, that has internal mechanical advance units, and M.S.D. compatable. I made adapters to mount a Chevy H.E.I. distributor to the front of each camshaft.
I sandblasted the intake, all the distributor parts and the valve covers, and powder coated all the pieces.
The engine had a big remote filter and the oil flange on the engine was really ugly too. I made a simple plate to mount to the engine that distributes the oil to a small remote filter block.
I used a stock exhaust port gasket as a pattern to make exhaust flanges for mounting the (custom) headers to the heads. I also used 3/8 inch aluminum plate.
There is a company that makes a "plug in and play" system for a V-12, but it has a high cost. http://www.directignition.com . I know what I have done took a lot of work, but that is what I like to do. I like to do what the average mechanic would never think of. I have a 1968 Camaro pro-touring project and wasn't sure exactly what engine to use, now I know.
My projects are out of the ordinary and something you wouldn't see every day. Pictures and a video will be soon on my friend's site of the V-12 http://www.bartonekdragracing.com Click on "cool rides" to go to our projects. Mine are listed as "Gene mosmeyer's blown Biscayne". My Toyota powered jet ski is in there also.
The price for all the materials to make everything was around $150 and that includes the used distributors. $1,000 for the engine and another $10 for the red powder.
I have one weber on the way. The other two will be added after the engine is run on a test stand to make sure all is ok and tuned out. The next step will be mounting the engine into the frame and making the exhaust headers. After about a year of pittling around in my spare time (I have no spare time) the hard part of the project is about done.
If anyone wants pictures of some detailed work, e-mail me and let me know. www.kmosmeyer@hotmail.com send it "attn. Gene".
Thanks,
---TEX---

[Edited on 16/8/03 by TEXAS-HOTROD]

chrisg

posted on 16/8/03 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
You've been busy then, Tex?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.