Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Totally bored
Ninehigh

posted on 7/2/09 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Totally bored

A thought occured to me today, I've not heard of a bored-out engine in a few years.. Is there something inherently unsafe/unreliable in grinding the pistons or is it just not economical in a cost/bhp gain?

omega0684

posted on 7/2/09 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
what do you mean you have not heard of a bored out engine? do you mean in a kit car or a production car modification.

alot of pinto's are re-bored, either from 1.6-2.0 or 2.0-2.1, if im correct the 205 pinto block can tollerate up to a 93mm bore on a 2.1 conversion, not sue what other engines will take

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 7/2/09 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
No I mean I've not heard of anyone doing it for ages. I had no idea you could do that much to it though. Is it expensive for the power gain though?

mookaloid

posted on 7/2/09 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
On a Pinto it is not a very good increase in BHP for the cost. You would be much better off spending money on gas flowing the head and a better cam.

Boring out to get a higher capacity is good for getting the last few horses out of an engine when all the other cost effective mods have been carried out.

It will produce better torque though..

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

David Jenkins

posted on 7/2/09 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
My x-flow was rebored simply because the original bore was worn out - from 1600cc to 1660cc. I probably gained 1 or 2 BHP!

I think it's less common for modern engines as they don't wear out in the same way as the oldies.

Hugh Paterson

posted on 7/2/09 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on how much u add in performence bits to improve the BHP, uprated cams, carbs valves blah blah blah......... how deep are your pockets? There was a Vizard book around that was good at explaining the pros and cons and what u could do on a budget. The 2 litre unit was developed and used as the "base" engine in a number of motor sport classes (and still is), but the zetec and duratec engines are becoming more popular and in the case of the Zetec easier to get "add ons" at a reasonable cost. The pinto is a good ol lump however and loads of em kicking around, easy to job yourself to save dosh if a bit heavy, its also quite a tall. Have a decko at amazon for a good book on what u can mod on em, I used to have a couple kicking around the workshop but binned em a couple of months ago.
Shug

Richard Quinn

posted on 7/2/09 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
I had an overbored and stroked 2.4 pinto! Performance wise it was great but it did have a tendency to go off like a hand grenade. After the 3rd build (not rebuild!) I gave up on it as way too expensive!
Ninehigh

posted on 7/2/09 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
I suppose the more you take out the more unreliable it gets

stevebubs

posted on 7/2/09 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Still popular in caterham circles for those eager to wring out the last couple of bhp from a K
mcerd1

posted on 7/2/09 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've done it to my pinto
Its a 205 block and I've taken it to 93mm (2090cc)

I expect to get a little extra torque and a maybe a couple of horses - but mostly I did it because I could and my overpriced forged pistons cost the same either way

[Edited on 7/2/09 by mcerd1]

James

posted on 8/2/09 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
I may well be remembering this wrongly but pretty sure I read a few years ago that there was the odd Pinto at 2.3 (or was it even 2.4?) using over-sized v6 pistons.
EDIT: And I'm not talking about the Yank version of it. I mean bored out UK ones.

Have I imagine that?

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 8/2/09 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

rusty nuts

posted on 8/2/09 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
I may well be remembering this wrongly but pretty sure I read a few years ago that there was the odd Pinto at 2.3 (or was it even 2.4?) using over-sized v6 pistons.
EDIT: And I'm not talking about the Yank version of it. I mean bored out UK ones.

Have I imagine that?

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 8/2/09 by James]

IIRC the conversion used con rods from 1.6 or 1.8 Ford diesel engines with some mods?

cd.thomson

posted on 8/2/09 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Cheapest way to replace the pintos standard components once it has been rebored is to switch the conrods for diesel items (i think from old fiestas??) and fit the pistons from the cologne V6 engine, although both required machining.

The 205 block was best at taking the rebore, but could still only manage 93mm (which led to around 2.1L) however the engines were sometimes stroked up to 2.4l.

Craig

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.