Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Upgrading V8 hotwire to VEMS ECU Thoughts
Agriv8

posted on 22/6/06 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Upgrading V8 hotwire to VEMS ECU Thoughts

I am Running a 3.5 EFI v8 on the 3.9 hotwire system at the moment with no Lambda Sensor.

I have been offered a New VEMS 3.2 engine management system fully tested with pre-loaded Rover V8 engine map. The VEMS can control fuel and ignition as well as having many other programmable channels. It also has full WBO2 lambda control that helps a lot with mapping of the engine

I am practically interested in running the Ignition ( via the ECU rather than the electronic SD1 Dizzie / bob weights at the moment ) this is done via the Coil packs from the later Range Rover Engine. I have an Old Points Dizzie that I can Modify to continue to drive the Oil pump.

After a quick look through the website I will have to rig up a trigger wheel arrangement of my crank. ( As the current range rover ECU takes a pulse from the Coil ). I will have to re-read the EFi articles in PPC Magazine

Though I always fancy a challenge I am looking for peoples thoughts on if these are any good and any pointer gotchas , My gut feeling is to buy it and keep for an over winter project. I have a good working knowledge of the Hotwire system ( after cutting and shutting the Hotwire
Loom ) but non on after market ECU’s

Thanks and Regards.

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

mark chandler

posted on 22/6/06 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Will you be looking to do anything with the lump at the same time ?

If so upgrade to the later 4.0/4.6 front cover and cam for a better oil pump and cam position sensor. You will also need a sump. Lots of these appear on Ebay where engines have slipped the liner.

I would expect all in to cost £50, the price of a Distributor adaptor.

Regards Mark

martyn_16v

posted on 22/6/06 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
VEMS is by all accounts a very capable system. It originally began as an offshoot of MS, and added ignition and several outputs as well, on a better processor. There are a couple of guys in the US that I know of that have started moving from doing MS installs on watercooled VW's to supplying VEMS instead. The major downside of it for a long time has been it's documentation though, it's a bit thin on the ground and the website every time I have looked has been unfathomable. If you think you can find your way around it though then do it
Agriv8

posted on 22/6/06 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps,

The lack of Documentation worries me but as its suppled with a v8 loom I think I can get it to work.

£300 notes for ECU and loom and conectors? reasnobale ?

MAny thanks for your help

Agriv8

Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

BKLOCO

posted on 23/6/06 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have to say that if I were doing it again I would probably give the VEMS a very close look.
Where it wins over MS is that it is full sequential... something that MS in its present guise is not capable of.
However where MS scores is the ammount of info available.
MS has taught me a lot and was probably a good starting point for DIY FI and does a very good job of it.
I think the VEMS takes that starting point a stage further though.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

MikeRJ

posted on 24/6/06 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
AFAIK, fully sequential injection is really only useful as a means of controlling emmisions are idle and part throttle. At WOT, the injector duration means that the system is no longer sequential but approaches a batch fired scheme (unless you have huge injectors and the associated idle problems).

VEMS is (or at was when I last looked) based on megasquirt code anyway, though running on an AVR instead of Motorola part, so learning curve should not be too bad.

[Edited on 24/6/06 by MikeRJ]

Agriv8

posted on 24/6/06 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks once again Chaps.

I think its a done deal ( time to raid the secret kit car account - hope the wifes not reading ) and get my name down for the Overtime at work

I am sure with the help of the forum I can rig it up and get it to work that reminds me to bid on thaqt range rover coil pack on flebay.

Thanks once again

Agriv8

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.