Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lift Pump Woes...
stevebubs

posted on 28/6/06 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Lift Pump Woes...

Have been running a Facet solidstate (like this one) as a lift pump to fill the swirl pot from the main tank for about 1500-2000 miles but it would appear that the run to Le Mans and back has killed it (was new at the time of install).

Now the questions I have are…

The pump has been running without any backpressure caused by a carb regulator – is it this type of continuous use that has killed it?

If not, what is the likelihood that if I just stick another one in it will go the same way?

What would be an ideal (cheap) alternative solution?

[Edited on 28/6/06 by stevebubs]

Syd Bridge

posted on 28/6/06 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Try putting a plug in your return tube from the swirl to the tank. Drill a 1~1.5mm hole in it, so that it acts more as a vapour/air breather, than a fuel return. Should slow down the lifter.

Also, fuel return from the rail should go to the swirl for this to work. And, as I always put...it is good practice to put a small cooler in the return from the rail, to remove accumulated heat.

Cheers,
Syd.

stevebubs

posted on 28/6/06 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Syd Bridge
Try putting a plug in your return tube from the swirl to the tank. Drill a 1~1.5mm hole in it, so that it acts more as a vapour/air breather, than a fuel return. Should slow down the lifter.

You're the second person to recommend this. Consider it done.

quote:

Also, fuel return from the rail should go to the swirl for this to work. And, as I always put...it is good practice to put a small cooler in the return from the rail, to remove accumulated heat.

Yep - return from the rail does go back to the swirl pot

Cheers, Syd

Stephen

stevebubs

posted on 28/6/06 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Fixed.

whacked it with a hammer on the bench a few times and it sprang back into action.

Installed a restrictor into the return pipe, too.

Seems to be runnning properly again now...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.