Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Throttle Body Question
omega0684

posted on 27/1/09 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
R1 Throttle Body Question

not sure if this is in the right section but its about R1 TB's so i've stuck my Qu in here,

i have a set a 2003 R1 TB's on my pinto and myself and a fellow builder have been discussing set ups for them and came across a common query that we're a little confused about,

when you look into the TB's there is a black platic valve (that covers about 3/4 of the inlet) that is before the butterflies that is controlled by a diaphram and spring in the top of the TB. now my understanding is that these are vacuum controlled. so as you go faster the plastic "shutters" lift upwards allowing more air to flow into the inlet? am i right so far?

so here's my question, can these simply be removed? my thinking is that the butterfly also controls the air flow into the cylinders so whats the point in having 2 controls?

answers on a postcard please

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 27/1/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
really I should charge for my web search ability’s Rescued attachment 00valve.JPG
Rescued attachment 00valve.JPG

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 27/1/09 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
thankyou Mr Whippy. I had read about this on wikipedia, the valve itself is referred to as a constant velocity carburetor slide.

I can see the need for this on the low torque bike engine. On a CEC are these necessary?

Craig

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/1/09 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
thankyou Mr Whippy. I had read about this on wikipedia, the valve itself is referred to as a constant velocity carburetor slide.

I can see the need for this on the low torque bike engine. On a CEC are these necessary?

Sounds similar concept to fords Variable Venturi carb that on paper sounded great but in real life sucked big time. Basically its purpose was to maintain a high flow rate through the carb at low revs insuring very good atomization of the fuel (often a cause for starting difficulties on carbs with huge bores) but at higher revs would open up and freely flow the air. Unfortunately the damn VV thing leaked inside like a sieve and instead tried its best to strangle the engine at any opportunity. Personally I'd leave it alone as if anything its probably going to give you more low down torque and then get out the way when the revs are up. It's also rather like the vacuum secondary valve on the Weber 32/36 progressive carb, in that one valve remains closed at low speeds to give you more torque.

[Edited on 27/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

chrisspartan

posted on 27/1/09 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
The best way to lock them open I found was - take the cover and put a short length of plastic kitchen waste pipe over the flat part of the valve (you will need to 'ovalise' the pipe to get it to fit. Assuming you have cut the pipe to the right length when you reassemble this will keep the valve open.
omega0684

posted on 27/1/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
chris was there any benefit to you locking the valves open?
MikeCapon

posted on 27/1/09 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
If you want the slides to open more quickly you need to enlarge the hole that passes the depression through to above the slides. This mod worked well on CBR600 carbs on the offroad racers we have over here and would apply equally to the R1 set up.
cd.thomson

posted on 27/1/09 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Speaking for myself, and possibly Omega, I'm really just wondering if they actually do anything functional on a big car engine?

Rather than leaving them/jamming them open/having them operating more quickly I'd be really interested to know *why* I should take this course of action?

Craig

chrisspartan

posted on 27/1/09 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I havent started my engine yet - it was purely a construction suggestion. I went through the same thought process as you but concluded that I wouln't need them on a CeC. Thats why I opted for the tube mod as I could always reinstate the valve if ever needed by taking the tube out.
Mr Whippy

posted on 27/1/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisspartan
Sorry I havent started my engine yet - it was purely a construction suggestion. I went through the same thought process as you but concluded that I wouln't need them on a CeC. Thats why I opted for the tube mod as I could always reinstate the valve if ever needed by taking the tube out.

The pipe you’re sticking down its throat, aren’t you reducing the carbs intake bore? If so, that's not exactly improving the gas flow.

omega0684

posted on 27/1/09 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
if you wanted the valves to stay open, would it not just be easier to take the diaphrams out and then push the valves up manually from inside the inlet and then use some silicone (or similar product) to secure it from the top of the TB where the diapram used to be after removing it, that way you have not restricted the airflow in anyway and the valve is wide open.

just a thought....

[Edited on 27/1/09 by omega0684]

MkIndy7

posted on 27/1/09 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Nope its much easier to push a piece of pipe down there to hold the slides open, particularly if you may ever want to use them again at a later date.

As for the slides advantages or disadvantages on a CEC i'm not sure.. We've currently got our wedged open and some pipe reducers to narrow it down to about 32mm as the low throttle opening and tuneing is a nightmare. On about 20% throttle travel you might as well have your foot to full throttle as the engine is pulling in so much air and below that you've not got much control. Over the winter we either need to made a cranked throttle opening arrangement or to restrict the low throttle opening ariflow another way.

They never helped with this tuneing when they were operational and made a very strange noise lol.

chrisspartan

posted on 27/1/09 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
No I didn't mean put a bit of pipe in the airflow, I meant from the diaphram and spring side you use the pipe to hold the valve back.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.