Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: "How to" OEM Focus ST170 ecu with Pats info.
big_wasa

posted on 14/7/15 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
No probs, again I am learning not to just print gibberish with no reference.

Next,

I've also been asked for more info on the fuel pump driver modual, hope this helps.

Your-nme

posted on 14/7/15 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info on the imrc connector. I had it wired correctly. I have ordered a new transistor for my IMRC because it holds it for a approx 10 seconds in shortrunner mode and then shuts of. After reading some forums in the usa about the focus svt I have seen some simularities with my lack of power. So hoping this is the solution on the p1518 failure code. Only leafs the p1380. Will keep on searching
big_wasa

posted on 14/7/15 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Its one of the few donor bits that hold there value. They often sell for upto £100 used on ebay as there over £300 new.
rs moggy

posted on 19/7/15 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
hi woza can u post the OBD port plug and wer the 7 wires go please mate as i no some go to the oil temp and pressher gages im helping a mate with his loom and myin all in the car now and tuked away if you can please mate thanks moggy
big_wasa

posted on 19/7/15 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
I am sure the dash splices into the Standard corporate bus (scp).

Should be able to find the colours in the dash plug.

rs moggy

posted on 20/7/15 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
thanks mate i ow you a pint sound
Vindicator666

posted on 16/3/16 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
Yippee ive found it :)

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Hi, great to see people using the info for projects instead of chucking a credit card at it.

I am no teacher so it is a guide with the important bits rather than a total a connects to b.

If I can be of any help then give me a shout but I can't take on any loom jobs at the moment as I have to much on.

Yours should be easier than most as its fwd to start with.

Cheers wasa

Just come across this post again after searching for 2 hours

fantastic post and perfect timing, i am just about to embark on stripping my standard loom out to attempt to wire up my car.

Have you got a contact number Wasa i can call you on for some advice on some basic ST170 queries re: inlet / carbs - ECU please?

Also how do you post pics on here as so as to show the project so far, im not to pc literate so any assistance appreciated

Regards Tobe Leigh

big_wasa

posted on 16/3/16 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi good to see another project.

You have a pm

FamilyGuy

posted on 2/5/16 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hi wasa, I've been reading through the thread with a lot of interest as I am in the process of building an ST170 powered kit car. I have stripped the donor and have the full loom, I plan to use the standard ecu etc. I see no mention of the GEM module so I'm guessing this and all its associated connections are not required to run the engine?

Cheers,
FamilyGuy

big_wasa

posted on 3/5/16 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Yep Engine ecu will run happily with out the body controle module .
FamilyGuy

posted on 6/5/16 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, that's one headache I won't have to worry about. Not at the wiring stage of my project yet but I anticipate many more questions when I get there .
Vindicator666

posted on 19/5/16 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Pats query

I have perm live going to pin 55 cam live
Perm to pats led
Pats Led to pin 42
Perm to switch
Switch to pats tranceiver

Earth to pats tranceiver
Earth to pin 24 earth
All chassis earth's conceded to chassis

The led flashes but when I switch it nothing happens

Does anyone know what I'm missing please ?

Regards

supersparks

posted on 10/7/16 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all this is my first post. I am thinking of doing this conversion so the information here is greatly welcome, a massive thumbs up to big_wasa. I have one question , what fuel pump would be required to run the st fuel rail I understand that the st fuel pump module varies the speed of the pump to achieve the pressure required but what pressure is needed ?.
Thanks, mick.

big_wasa

posted on 10/7/16 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
You are correct but the pump is just a pump. It does have a non return valve after the pump out let.

The pump on the vid is a generic bosch "style" pump as found in most 1990 cars like the sierra, xr3i ect. The valve was out of an st pump.

Case_Sensitive

posted on 26/7/16 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
PATS help?

Hey,

my progress towards getting my ST170 pump going on a custom wiring loom is tipping away, but I'm having issues (I think) with the PATS.
As you noted way back, PATS / Immobiliser connector C390 varies in shape, colour and wire colour based on the year of manufacture and not necessarily like the Ford wiring diagram.

So, according to the Ford wiring diagram, the connector should have 4 female pins, with 5 wires:
p1 (Gn/Bk x 2)
p2 (Bk/Ye)
p3 (Gy/Ye)
p4 (Wh/Gn)

Well, mine is nothing like that at all!

Believe me, I tore the bag'o'wires to bits looking for one that matched the manual, it isn't there.
This is where my odd-looking connector came from, right under the barrel and attached to the PATS sensor ring.

This is my 8-pin female connector with 4 wires, which I've guessed is the same orientation, based on the colours for p1, p2 being about the same (fused +12v is usually some variety of green with trace, grounds black/black with trace)
p1 (Gn/Rd)
p2 (Bk/Og)
p3 (Bk/Wh)
p4 (Bk/Bu)

However, what concerns me slightly is that the Gn/Rd and Bk/Og are twisted tightly enough it can't be an accident, which in network cabling is a method of reducing interference. Why would you need to protect against interference on the power cables and not the data connections? The other two may simply be twisted at a different, much less frequent rate, and have become decoupled over the last 2.5 years though.

The other two go back to the ECU, so one of them carrying the wrong type of signal will at best confuse it.

So, having wired it like this, assuming that I had them in the right order, the car powers up in Pos I, II, but there's no turn over, because the starter relay inhibit is Open, along with all other 'active' connections to the ECU (Coil pack, Injectors, Fuel Pump Driver Module)

I've done some troubleshooting http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/8204/spark-turn-over-pats-flashing, and my next step is to start rewiring this plug until something magical happens.

http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/3946/rocket-st159

big_wasa

posted on 27/7/16 at 05:31 AM Reply With Quote
I would be confident in saying that, that is not the plug for the Pats transceiver / aerial.

There is no aerial in your photo.

It looks more like the air bag clock spring. Any better photos ?

I will have a better look later.

Cheers

Case_Sensitive

posted on 28/7/16 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Ug, I went down to the garage, took a load of pictures, and of course, Big_wasa's right, I've connected what I assumed was the PATS ring to its connector, and wired it as if it were such.

Going back to the donor teardown pictures, the ring is present in Oct 2013, and completely missing 4 months later.
The wiring connector is more mysterious still, as it's present in pictures as recent as last August, but nowhere to be seen now.
Must be someplace, I'll rip the place apart at the weekend, and then hit the Wanted section of MEVowners after that. Lots of guys using aftermarket ECUs will have no need of immobiliser ring.

Whole album https://www.flickr.com/photos/43278150@N00/sets/72157644328031687
plus older ones in an earlier one https://www.flickr.com/photos/43278150@N00/sets/72157633784737160

Case_Sensitive

posted on 9/8/16 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yay! Fire!

After buying a PATS transducer ring and connector, and replacing the fuel pump (twice), my rats nest of wires makes LOUD NOISES!.

Thanks Big_wasa for the idea and for all the help, couldn't have done it otherwise.
I'll post my diagrams and wiring guide when it's all written up.

big_wasa

posted on 9/8/16 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
All good
bug1

posted on 23/8/16 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ecu

Hi this is very helpful but I have a question not near this point yet but I have a 2001 Mondeo engine and a 2002 ecu (2.0 duratec) the guy I got it from cut the loom and gave me an unmatched ecu another words not from the same car but was the same engine but I only got the ecu and nothing else am I stuffed or can I get it to work or do I have to get matched set of bits and will this guide suit that ecu. Thanks in advance.
big_wasa

posted on 24/8/16 at 05:16 AM Reply With Quote
The ecu is not matched or paired to the engine so an ecu from a late 2000 to a 2004 will be fine as long as you get a matching key and it's from a manual.

The pin numbers will not match the ones on my list so you would have some work on your hands, made harder for the first one with out a full loom to trace back.

Cheers

bug1

posted on 24/8/16 at 05:42 AM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks so I need to get an ecu from a 2001-2004 with key if I was to try and get a loom would I need a complete car loom. Thanks
adamswifty

posted on 19/11/16 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Like to say thanks to thanks to Big_Wasa for the guide, finally got mine to fire up this week.

I think its fair to say the wiring is "not quite" upto Wasa's standards, though this is temporary and will be sorted when dropped into the Avon.

big_wasa

posted on 19/11/16 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Well done.

Thanks for the post as it makes the work worth while.

Nourish

posted on 21/12/16 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
I found these Focus Wiring Diagrams - might heip someone

ftp://ftp.idm.ru/pub/ffclub/2003_5_Focus_WD.pdf

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.