Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone using dual VR conditioners ?
Rob Lane

posted on 20/3/06 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone using dual VR conditioners ?

After much messing about with the dual VR conditioners to a toyota 4age ESA dizzy, I got the engine to run on tickover but not revvable.

I scoped the output from the conditioners and was surprised to see only .5 volt sqwaveform for the G1,G2 output and .2mV !!! for the NE output, from the conditioners (LM1815n).
Seems the G outputs were timing the ignitor in crank/idle mode but there was no NE timing output for MS to sync to !
Both outputs are tied to 5v by pullup resistors but there was just not enough driver.
Surprisingly the RC timing pin on chip had a lovely square waveform which synced to input, unfortunately it's not synced to output correct timing.

I've come to conclusion that the conditioners are shot.

I think this happened when I reflashed the chip with new code. The pin11 on the processor is designated output until changed in config. I did not fit a protection resistor and I think it output into conditioner output pin.

Oh, well !

Rob Lane

posted on 26/3/06 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Replying to my own post

Hope this helps someone else out.

After much fiddling and signal chasing I now have the system running. It will accelerate nicely but tickover is lumpy.
I think new plugs are in order as I ruined one set and fouled the current set once.

I made the mistake of following other Toyota success stories and mimicking their settings. Don't.
My engine is a non-tvis late phase 3 4age with ESA ignition. Most other toyotas are VAST ignition.

Inputs to the conditioners are completely different values to achieve a smooth waveform. 220-330 ohm are suggested but 1k are really needed to prevent crosstalk.

Main difference to get it running smoothly is spark output 'inverted'.
Now this is completely at odds with everyone else but without it car would not run properly.

Now I need to tune fuel and spark advance to get some decent results.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.