Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 36-1 trigger wheel alignment Q's
DarrenW

posted on 10/4/06 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
36-1 trigger wheel alignment Q's

ive got a couple of Q's to get me started on megajolt install.

1. The Ford wheel - is this s replacement pulley that is keyed and easy to fit?

2. If i make or buy aftermarket wheel does it have to be carefully aligned or can the software / VR sensor position be set up so alignment isnt so critical? How have you fitted yours?

I will also investigate modifying my pulley wheel - ive searched and read the threads.

engine is 1988 2.0 Pinto.

Cheers,
darren.

[Edited on 10/4/06 by DarrenW]

[Edited on 10/4/06 by DarrenW]

BKLOCO

posted on 10/4/06 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
The way retro fitted trig wheels and sensors are usually fitted is to make the wheel fixing solid and allow for some radial allignment of the sensor.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

paulf

posted on 10/4/06 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
The edis sets the advance curve at 10degrees when the missing tooth is set at 90 degrees before tdc.It is not possible to adjust the megajolt to offset the sensor position so try to get the position as near as possible.
If there is a discrepancy it is not critical as you can add or subtract it from the figures you input to the megajolt map. You will be adjusting the map anyway, so unless using someone elses map it is not a problem.
Paul.

DarrenW

posted on 11/4/06 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Paul,

You have confirmed what i thought but of course i have no experience yet. main reason for my question is that the engine is modified so my original TDC mark is approximate at best. Next job is to fit Magajolt. Later i will mod further which could result in true TDC being a couple of degrees out (ish). i will make the sensor bracket adjustable to help with tuning the TDC position as well.

How have people physically fitted aftermarket trigger wheels to the pulley? Weld? Bolt?

When you say the Edis sets 10deg advance is that adjustable? I know i will need between 14 and 18deg. (i dont have the kit or software yet so havent been able to suss it out for myself)

Cheers,
Darren.

paulf

posted on 11/4/06 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
The Edis will only trigger the coil at 10deg if the trigger wheel is exactly 90 degrees before tdc.With no megajolt connected it will fire at the same 10degrees everytime and can only be adjusted by the trigger wheel or sensor position.
When the megajolt is fitted you can adjust to wherever you require the timing to be.at any revs and throttle position.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Paul,

When you say the Edis sets 10deg advance is that adjustable? I know i will need between 14 and 18deg. (i dont have the kit or software yet so havent been able to suss it out for myself)

Cheers,
Darren.

DarrenW

posted on 13/4/06 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Paul - see what you mean. So if the megajolt unit fails at least i will have a fixed 10 deg to get me home.

Im still confused over the trigger wheels - does anyone have pics and part numbers of the various Ford ones or at least pic and number of the best one to fit to a pinto crank pulley. Im really looking for something that i can order from the ford dealer and know it will fit with no trouble. Do i simply go to the dealer and ask for sierra 1.8CVH trigger wheel????
(I thought about making one but unsure how to mount it to the pulley - ive seen peoples photos but they dont seem to show how they fit on.)

Who are the pinto owners running megajolt?

Cheers,
Darren.

MikeR

posted on 13/4/06 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
wondering the same for the crossflow owners
DarrenW

posted on 18/4/06 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just checked my crank pulley and realised it is a double type. This means i should be able to mod the outer pully and add teeth. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions as to how - going this route means the missing tooth position is critical to get right from the start.

Is it easy to add teeth with a die grinder? What width / how deep should they be?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.