Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Long intake pipe vs short?
RazMan

posted on 25/6/06 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Long intake pipe vs short?

Just pondering really - My alloy intake pipe has to be rather long (about 500mm) to place the K&N filter in a 'cold air' position in the engine bay (middy btw)

Question: Is it better to have a long intake pipe with the filter on the end or a shorter pipe with cold ducted towards it?

Discuss

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kissy

posted on 25/6/06 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
500mm
I'd expect a very dodgy idle, but good top end if you haven't got icing problems by then. It does sound excessive, look at F1 and lesser categories as a guide.

Danozeman

posted on 25/6/06 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Id go shorter with cold air feeds myself. Much less distance for the air to travel..

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

scoop

posted on 25/6/06 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
And i thought it was short for top end and long for lower down torque?
stevebubs

posted on 25/6/06 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Cat. Pigeons.

Now post this question on the se7ens list...

Confused but excited.

posted on 26/6/06 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
Cat. Pigeons.

Now post this question on the se7ens list...

Too subtle for me !

Keep taking the dried green frog tablets.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

RazMan

posted on 26/6/06 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Huh? You got me too Steve

Looking on eBay there are loads of so called 'induction kits' which have these long alloy intakes and a cone filter, in fact I once installed one on SWMBO's Honda CRX. It didn't have a dodgy tickover. Can anyone explain the theory about this?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tks

posted on 26/6/06 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
small

is for high rpm, high power..

long is for low rpm power... (wich is often converted to torque)

500mm would be long,

would make them as small as possible and make a scope with tubes wich points at them..

TKs

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

martyn_16v

posted on 26/6/06 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
I think a lot of people are getting confused with inlet pulse tuning, which is more applicable to itb's/twin carbs where there is a separate runner per cylinder. In that case you are right that a shorter runner will produce benficial peaks higher up the rev range. However in a plenum inlet the pulses only occur betwwen the plenum and the inlet valves, so the length of the tubing from air filter to throttle/plenum is of far less importance in this respect. The major considerations here are adeuate diameter, and any heat transfer issues.
C10CoryM

posted on 26/6/06 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Are we talking about intake runners or the intake pipe before the throttle body?
Sounds to me like its the latter. In which case the length of the pipe doesn't make a noticable difference on a street car but the cooler air will. Keep it smooth internally (don't use dryer duct ) and have the inlet in a cool, high pressure area.

If we are talking intake runners, then its a whole different story.

[Edited on 26/6/06 by C10CoryM]

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

RazMan

posted on 26/6/06 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at my original post, I may not have been very clear - I am definitely referring to the intake pipe that runs from the air filter to the TB. It is smooth bore 100mm alloy tube so it won't be a restriction to the 65mm TB.

My V6 Duratec has dual length intake runners which DO make a difference to torque at low speeds and power at high speeds. Having said all that they are an uneccessary complication on a lightweight car and I am going to remove the secondary butterflies & shafts, allowing maximum airflow and leaving full control to the throttle body & ecu. This keeps things nice and simple.

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.