Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel balance pipe - solid or rubber?
RazMan

posted on 6/7/06 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel balance pipe - solid or rubber?

I've got two fuel tanks (one in each side pod) which require a 8mm balance pipe so that the pump can draw from both tanks. The pipe needs to be mounted very low down and P clipped to the bottom chassis rail.

As it will be potentially at risk from contact with road debris, speed bumps etc, is it best to make it from solid copper or braided hose? The prospect of watching 8 gallons of fuel dribbling out is a little disconcerting!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyharding

posted on 6/7/06 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Regardless of material but a tap at both ends then if it does get damaged you can isolate the tanks to stop a leak and while you replace the pipe!

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

RazMan

posted on 6/7/06 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent advice Andy - I'll do that

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 6/7/06 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Could you not mount the pipe on the back of the chassis tube i.e not on the foward facing side, thus offering a little protection?

Dan

tks

posted on 6/7/06 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
yeah

anyway i woulf first weld a 20mm stainless tube untherneath if you cant reroute it.

in case a stone hits it then the tube will deform and you are warned with a glong that you have hitted something..

in ohter cases you will just drive further with out notice

i would go rubber and a stainless extra tube untherneath..

the rubber can deform sow in case of a collision it wont drippele fuel.

the tube is there for high priority protecion..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Danozeman

posted on 6/7/06 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
I would weld a tube onto the rail and run a rubber pipe through that for protection. Then as Andy said taps at each end just incase.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

RazMan

posted on 6/7/06 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
The balance pipe has to 'wiggle' round a couple of brackets on its route so I can't weld a straight pipe to the chassis as protection - excellent suggestion though.

Cheers,
Raz

tks

posted on 6/7/06 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
huh?

wy not?

just weld the parts/ that are facing the ground...

you are not very clear on your situation..

You even could just weld up an complete tube and take away with the angle grinder the pieces where the hose needs to enter or exit the tube...

TKs

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

RazMan

posted on 6/7/06 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I see what you mean but I should have mentioned that I am replacing an existing pipe which has deteriorated by the fuel - despite having a spec sheet to say that it is proper fuel pipe for the job I am therefore reluctant to start welding on pipes next to my fuel tanks and spoiling my powder coated chassis in the process.

I have decided to use P clipped 10mm Kunifer pipe along with an isolation valve on each tank in case of any problems.

Thanks for all the help guys

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.