Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Firewall to fuel tank rules.
Moorron

posted on 20/2/08 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Firewall to fuel tank rules.

Hi guys, quick question regarding fuel tank placement. I am building a rear engined Renault 5. It’s an inline V6 and I want to place the fuel tank in the available space behind the driver’s seat. I am concerned about the legal bits regarding the bulk head separating the tank from the driver. At the moment I have a fully welded in roll cage which I will have an aluminium cover on the driver’s side which is removable. The engine will be air sealed in, but i am not sure if the tank is supposed to behind a more permanent firewall or just an air tight one. In my Indy the tank is a little further away right at the back panel, but it is separated from the driver by the steel chassis box and riveted alloy panel.

Will I be ok with this or should a box the tank in with steel?

Cheers

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

Hammerhead

posted on 20/2/08 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
lotus elise has the fuel tank behind both seats, But it is accessed panel below the car so there is an aluminium bulk head in the driver compartment to seperate you from the tank.

Moorron

posted on 20/2/08 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
cheers, any pictures?

my mates T2 renault (the rally car one) has 2 tanks each go below the front seats so there is no firewall!

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/2/08 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
That’s what I was going to suggest, make a fully welded steel box with a hole underneath for the tank to be inserted. That way it can't leak into the cab if you’re inverted.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 20/2/08 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
This lot is behind my seat! There is an aluminium cover that fixes over the top and forms the seat back. You can't see but there's a two inch hole in the floor for any leakages and there's a nozzle from the extinguisher pointing in there as well. Rescued attachment fuel.jpg
Rescued attachment fuel.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.