Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Interesting position for injectors
Guinness

posted on 19/3/08 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting position for injectors

I saw this over the weekend, and thought it was an interesting location for the injectors, fuel rail etc on a N/A engine! I'd imagine cold starting might be aa bit tricky!??

Pour it in
Pour it in

It's a pretty nice billet fuel rail too!

Injector Position
Injector Position

Overall it's quiet a compact little engine. Might make me cross over to the CEC side.

Compact little v10
Compact little v10

Cheers

Mike

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/3/08 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
f1 engines all seem to have that location

makes sence as the injector nozzel won't disrupt the airflow

[Edited on 19/3/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 19/3/08 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
nowt wrong with that, better power as the fuel is move evenly distributed within the air flow.

Cars have injectors pointing at the back of the inlet valves to improve emmissions at low revs.

Not really a good idea on a road car though, big fire risk, car would always smell bad also. Better to place the injectors behind the throttle flap.

Regards Mark

r1_pete

posted on 19/3/08 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
They are called Shower Injectors, Ducati 996 998 R / SPS etc are a source if you fancy having a go.

Heres a Pair

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 19/3/08 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
this setup is used on very high performance engines, normally with more than one injector per cylinder.
At high rpm the injectors need to be further away to have time at high rpm and inlet flows to atomise properly.

there should be another set of injectors nearer the head. the second set outside the butterflies will only operate at full throttle and higher rpm with engine mapped accordingly to activate and cut over/combine injectors.

i've seen this setup used on very high spec vauxhall xe engines.

[Edited on 19/3/08 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

ned

posted on 19/3/08 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
here is a pic of a 290bhp+ vauxhall xe. you can see both sets of injectors, one nearer the head and the second set fire through fittings on the trumpets outside the butterflies.

apparantly also helps improve torque as i recall when dave walker set a car up with this setup gained 20lb/ft or something for same engine going from 4 to 8 injectors, that car was making around 250-260bhp iirc. Think it was the vauxhall westifeld featured in an early copy of ppc.

Ned.

[Edited on 19/3/08 by ned] Rescued attachment twin injector xe.jpg
Rescued attachment twin injector xe.jpg

beware, I've got yellow skin

martyn_16v

posted on 24/3/08 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Clicky. I'm sure i've seen a better quality video kicking about somewhere, but this one'll do. Disturbing amount of fuel wafting about loose there

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.