Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Plasma cutter wiring
JoelP

posted on 31/7/03 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Plasma cutter wiring

Hi all

Bought a plasma cutter but can't seem to find an 18amp plug for it anywhere, even at maplins...

any ideas? or just use a 13 amp without a fuse?

are there any good ways of cutting things that don't involve plasma cutters? snips seem like a pain in the donkey...

[Edited on 31/7/03 by JoelP]

timf

posted on 31/7/03 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
don't put a nail in the plug

the 18 amp plugs and sockets are the bug red industrial sockets and plugs the 13 amp plug wont be man enough to take the current and may well burn out.

i think that wicks do the red plugs and sockets but they do have to be wired into there own circut breakers. not into a spur from a normal socket

Tim

[Edited on 31/7/03 by timf]

splitrivet

posted on 31/7/03 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
For christs sake DONT put a nail or anything else like that in a 13 amp plug top unless you at worst want to set your house on fire or at best create a load of damage,if you do your insurance company will laugh thier balls of when you make the claim.
Best bet get a sparky in to wire you a direct spur from your dis/fuse board to your garage preferably in about 6 mill (dont know the latest regulations but that should do it) and install a double pole isolator.
Cheers,
Bob

David Jenkins

posted on 31/7/03 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Joel,

Don't panic about this - it's a very simple job for any competent house-wiring electrician.

You will nead a heavy-duty socket with a built-in switch, some heavy cable and a space in your domestic consumer unit. You will also need a plug to match the socket!

The HD sockets aren't particularly expensive, and you're probably talking less than an hour's work from the electrician. If you fit the socket and run the wiring close to the consumer unit then all he has to do is check the wiring and connect it up.

Don't try the final connection yourself unless you know what you're doing - far too risky.

The cheapest option is have a cooker outlet fitted near to the plasma cutter, but that means that the mains lead will have to be permanently fitted.

cheers,

David

timf

posted on 31/7/03 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
naughty ned's been deleting his posts again
JoelP

posted on 31/7/03 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Thanx all, my best pal danny is a sparky so when he next comes back i'll set him on it. should be koolio...

just thought id try and bodge it myself, but i suppose some things are a bit much. Like building a car....

ned

posted on 31/7/03 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
i was only guessing (and have seen it done) but thought it best to remove any unsafe or ill advised 'advise'

though as always, info is used at your own risk....

and i did say he should make sure his circuit breakers were up to it!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
splitrivet

posted on 31/7/03 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
The cheapest option is have a cooker outlet fitted near to the plasma cutter, but that means that the mains lead will have to be permanently fitted.

You'll probably find a heavy duty outlet about the same price or cheaper Dave.
The added bonus would be youve then got an outlet if you got yourself a 2 horse or so compressor or somesuch.
Cheers,
Bob

David Jenkins

posted on 31/7/03 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet

You'll probably find a heavy duty outlet about the same price or cheaper Dave.
The added bonus would be youve then got an outlet if you got yourself a 2 horse or so compressor or somesuch.
Cheers,
Bob

I'm OK - I've got an industrial-style 30-Amp outlet for my welder!

DJ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.