Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Daihatsu alternator LRA543
MK7

posted on 22/9/03 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Daihatsu alternator LRA543

Hi, I've been offered a reconditioned alternator from a diahatsu charade (Lucas item LRA543) for £25.00.

I note it only has two mounting points, how have others set about mounting these on a Pinto?

jonti

posted on 22/9/03 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I used a similar model from a Dryhatshoe van.
My method, for what it's worth...

Bottom lug goes directly (with a spacer) onto the engine lug that originally secured the tensioner bar and the tensioner bar is modded to affix to an extended exhaust manifold pin.
Works for me..see below

Scuze the dust...I was sanding some shelves nearby on Sunday and I haven't made the bonnet yet.....Bloody DIY !

[Edited on 22/9/03 by jonti] Rescued attachment Alty-1.JPG
Rescued attachment Alty-1.JPG

OFROK

Peteff

posted on 22/9/03 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Does the heat from the exhaust affect the wiring at all? My clutch cable was not as close to my exhaust and that melted.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

jonti

posted on 22/9/03 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Does the heat from the exhaust affect the wiring at all? My clutch cable was not as close to my exhaust and that melted.

yours, Pete.

Not so far: but the wires and the body are below the manifold ( external wires about three inches below) so although I've not gone far in it yet ( end of drive and back) and working on the assumption that heat always rises (mostly) I dont anticipate any problems. I have run the beast until hot though and then had a feel at the alty body and it seemed ok
Time will tell I suppose..might have to do some laggin' or put in a shield of some sort. Can't put the thing any lower cos the belt would foul the steering U/J ( bloody R.H.E !)
Cheers
J.J

[Edited on 22/9/03 by jonti]

OFROK

MK7

posted on 22/9/03 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one Jonti, this picture paints more than a thousand words.

I was concerned that the alternator might be subject to a rotation force with the force of the pulley and only 2 mounting holes. Yours seems solid enough does it?

Your picture also helps me to visualise the problem I'm going to have getting the bottom radiator hose sorted. Looking from the front I have to get to the bottom RH corner of the rad and so the fan belt is going to come in to play.

BTW, what fan belt did you use?

Thanks

jonti

posted on 22/9/03 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to be of help....Its plenty solid enough.

quote:

BTW, what fan belt did you use?

Measured up wiv a bit of string once all the bits were in place then toddled down to Halfords and got one that length. Did you know the part number on a fan belt often indicates it's length in mm ? Nota lota people know that.......mind you I bet SG did.

PS you'll have to frig about with the heater hose fitting on the WP too.

[Edited on 22/9/03 by jonti]

OFROK

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.