Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which vauxhall ignition module?
ned

posted on 17/10/03 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Which vauxhall ignition module?

For those of you that don't know a Vauxhall 16v xe can be run on webers using a mk2 1.6 cavalier dizzy, coil and loom for the ignition to avoid expensive aftermarket ignition kits.

I have two ignition modules, from unknown cars and am not sure which one to use.

They have part numbers on the top as follows:

6 pin: 0 227 100 123
7 pin: 0 227 100 200

Which one? (I have a suspicion Norhty might know or be able to check his!?)

thanks,

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 17/10/03 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
the amp on trhe mounting bracket has a distinct gm look about it,got any part no,s?,ill check monday

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Stu16v

posted on 18/10/03 at 12:59 AM Reply With Quote
I would of thought either of them would work as long as it was wired up correctly........

Unfortunately, I dont know if the pinouts for the two units would be the same.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Northy

posted on 18/10/03 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ned,

Numbers on mine:

TZ1 050 344

Its a Bosch module.

It has 7 pins, but interestingly enough the short bit of GM wiring loom I have for it only has 6 connections in it. Did you get one?

They look the same to me in the picture (apart from one terminal missing), am I correct?

I say, suck it and see. They might both work.

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 20/10/03 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
sorrry, forgot to say, these are both bosch gm modules, though the guy i got them from ran a 20xe in a nova, so not sure what they 'originally' came from!

guess they'll be a different ignition curve or something..

If anyone has any spare mk2 1.6 cav ignition bits, i'll have em! (or likewise see any in scrappies in your travels...) see northy's pic in his photo archive for info!

thanks,

Ned.

Peteff

posted on 20/10/03 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
I think they are spark amplification modules Ned. They shouldn't affect your advance curve as that should be handled by either your distributor or a computer.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ned

posted on 20/10/03 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Pete,

thanks for input. They are very different to the coil + amp unit the 16v uses as standard. the idea of this setup is to avoid the ecu and injection stuff. these are referred to in the haynes as 'ignition modules' this isn't a contact breaker dizzy, it uses magents and a hall effect sensor, hence i assumed this little module sorts out the ignition curve, but i may well be wrong...

Ned.

Stu16v

posted on 20/10/03 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, Pete is correct. They are merely amplifiers, in that they have no input into the ignition timing. With an 8V dizzy, it runs bobweights like a conventional dizzy, which mechanically advances the 'flags' that the hall sensor sees. The 16v ignition advance is done by the ECU, hence the reason there are no bobweights in the 'Valver' dizzy.

HTH Stu.

ned

posted on 20/10/03 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
ok, i'm wrong, no probs there, you learn something new everyday etc etc.

So does this mean it doesn't matter which one i use if they're merely amplifier units?

still confused,

Ned.

Stu16v

posted on 20/10/03 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
In theory, yes, but like I said earlier, as long as the pin-outs (wiring in/out of the module) is the same.....
Some modules may require a different input signal to work too. Its possible that an ECU fired one uses a different signal, some will have rev counter outputs, hence the differences.

HTH Stu.

Stu16v

posted on 20/10/03 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
This may be of help......

ned

posted on 20/10/03 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
thanks stu, I'll follow that thread aswell...

cheers,

Ned.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.