Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dellorto 40's choke query
coombed

posted on 31/8/10 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Dellorto 40's choke query

Hi all,

My kit car is running a 2.0L pinto with twin 40's (dellorto's). I have come across various opinions on the forums about choke sizes. Some saying 32mm, 34mm, 36mm, etc.

This is all good and well but how/what do I measure to ascertain what I have fitted in my carbs?

After I establish what I have fitted, what are your opinions on ideal choke size?

Lastly, for track use, would I see a benefit to use bike carbs instead of these? Would the ideal choke size be specific to the engine or specific to the carbs fitted?( I am also running megajolt)

Thanks

Duncan

You don't stop playing when you grow old, you grow old when you stop playing!

r1_pete

posted on 31/8/10 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
If you take the chokes out they will be stamped with their size.

There is no universal right or wrong size, it depends on engine spec, camshaft, compression ratio, where you want the power, high or low revs etc. etc.......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SPYDER

posted on 31/8/10 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Hi there.
There's loads of info on the web regarding choke sizing.
See the following
link...LINKY

I have 36mm chokes in my Solex 40's fitted to a 3SGE Toyota 16V which made 167HP on the rollers if that is of any help.
What is the spec of your Pinto and what power figure are you aiming for?
A standard Pinto will probably be OK on 32mm chokes.

As for bike carbs I would imagine that there may be a benefit as the biggest choke size possible in your 40's is 36mm and you could fit bigger bike carbs than that.
Biggest is not always best, however.

Try to put as much info in your post as possible to help the forum to help you.

Geoff.

v8james

posted on 31/8/10 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
If you look down the throat of the carb, from the trumpet end, you will see a narrowing where the main jet is. If you measure this it will give you your choke size.

For a track day engine I would go for the largest size (36mm) this will compromise idle and low revs but will give you more power at the top end. But you should match your choke size to you cam, as there is no point in fitting a choke that will allow you to rev to 7000rpm if your cams max power is produced at 6500rpm.
If you change the choke size you may also need to change the emulsion tube and progression drillings to regain some mid range powe/torque.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.