Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Minimum legal dash display requirements
Gear Monkey

posted on 4/1/12 at 01:38 AM Reply With Quote
Minimum legal dash display requirements

I'll be starting my build in the next week and therefore in the planning stages of the finer details. I intend to go down a minimalistic route and have nothing more than a start button, ignition switch and a custom made digital read out showing RPM, MPH and Engine Temp. Other controls will be lights indicators and horn.

Have I missed anything out that's a legal requirement?

Many thanks

Paul

snapper

posted on 4/1/12 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Hazard warning light
Handbrake light which doubles as fluid level warning
Main beam warning
Indicators
fog light warning could be incorporated in the switch

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

adithorp

posted on 4/1/12 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Minimum dash requirements are...

Speedo (in MPH) with illumination, Must be perminently displayed (beware of having any buttons that allow you to switch to some other display).
Indicator repeaters.
Hazard warning repeater (can be combined with indicators repeaters)
Rear fog warning. Must be red with correct symbol on the illuminated surface.
Main beam warning.
Brake fluid level warning with the correct symbol. Has to be testable from the driving position so is usually combined with a handbrake light (which in itself isn't a requirement).

Plus switches for everything.
Identification on all switches. Hazard warning switch must illuminate when side lights on.

In addition you might need...
Reverse warning light if not automaticaly switched.
Side light warning. Usually the speedo illumination so if it's perminently illuminated you need another warning light.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

mad-butcher

posted on 4/1/12 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
All requirements can be more or less met in any Acewell unit, contact russbost on here for a good deal, other makes of dashes are availiable else were

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 4/1/12 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Indicators could be a buzzer, or none at all if you can see the front indicators.

quote:
There must be a audible or visual tell tale fitted to indicate the operation of any indicators such that would not cause confusion to the driver (see note 1)

The hazard warning device must have a telltale warning light (see note 1)

Note 1: A tell tale is not required if the front indicators are directly clearly visible to the driver

Brake fluid warning light can be dropped if you have a fluid reservior that you can see the fluid level through without removing the cap. (needs a min level marker too)
However, you still need a light to satisfy the need to have a warning light if pressure drops on the hydraulic system/or have a fluid level warning light - so its usuaally considered easier to retain the fluid level warning light!

quote:
It must be possible to check the fluid relative to the manufacturer’s specified minimum level on all brake fluid reservoirs by the actual fluid level being visible through a transparent section of the reservoir, with the minimum level marked permanently on to this section. As an alternative, a red warning lamp (see figure 1) must be capable of illuminating when the reservoir fluid falls to the minimum level.

The hydraulic system must be fitted with a red warning lamp, sensitive to line pressure and capable of signalling the failure of any part of the hydraulic system as soon as the brake is applied and remaining lit as long as the failure exists (with the ignition switched on). As an alternative, the warning lamp must be sensitive to the reservoir fluid level, providing the reservoir is directly connected to supply the pressure side of the master cylinder when the piston is in the “brakes off” position, so that a failure of either part of a split system would result in a continuous draining of the reservoir fluid when the control is released (see note 2 and 3).

Fog warning can be any colour, as long as its clear, and can be a pictogram rather than a light. (not sure what that is?! something from the classic era)

quote:
Either the switch or tell tale must clearly indicate that operation relates to the Rear Fog lights (see Note 1).
Note 1: This may be achieved by an unlit pictogram (see section 33) or appropriate words, the tell tale may be any colour provided it cannot be confused with any other tell tale.

[Edited on 4/1/12 by loggyboy]

Gear Monkey

posted on 4/1/12 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the help chaps, this forum is an absolute gold mine of info, much appreciated.

An acewell unit at £200 looks to be a tidy, lightweight and stylish solution and it's perfect for the look i'm going for.

Thanks again

GM

mad-butcher

posted on 4/1/12 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
As I said if you contact russbost on the forum as a supplier of Acewell units he will give you all the info you require

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gear Monkey

posted on 4/1/12 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Having looked at the Acewell pdf I've come up with what I think is an awesome idea that will create a neat, functional and lightweight solution to accompany the all in one digital dash.

Picture this.....Just behind the steering wheel to the left an short aluminium bar holding one of the Acewell motorcycle switch gear clusters. These include controls for:

Lights (side/dipped/mail)
Horn
Indicators
Starter
Hazzards

And I'm guessing it's pretty much plug and play with the digital display. How cool would that be!!!

daniel mason

posted on 4/1/12 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
far from plug and play mate. they can be a pain to set up correctly!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.