Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Just a quick couple of questions (such a thing!?)
JamesyCottony

posted on 28/9/15 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Just a quick couple of questions (such a thing!?)

No.1

With light dash switches I was thinking of using led rocker switches, so for side green led, dipped green led, main beam blue led and fog red led, they don't have symbols on but if I put pictograms stickers under the switches would this pass?

No.2

With my headlights it seems as though there isn't a "dipped" and "main". When touching the wires on the battery the same bulb just seems to get brighter with main beam, so I wouldn't need to wire so that when mains are on dipped stop do I?

Side note I am using Austin metro standard wiring loom

Thanks

Irony

posted on 28/9/15 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
I used rocker switches for my IVA. Passed with Vinyl symbols stuck underneath them. Designed the symbols and made them myself.

Description
Description

[Edited on 28/9/15 by Irony]

britishtrident

posted on 28/9/15 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Re headlights you have the earth connection wrong

This link might help http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Lucaswirecode.htm

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

JamesyCottony

posted on 28/9/15 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Re headlights you have the earth connection wrong

This link might help http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Lucaswirecode.htm

What black to negative?

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/9/15 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamesyCottony

No.2

With my headlights it seems as though there isn't a "dipped" and "main". When touching the wires on the battery the same bulb just seems to get brighter with main beam, so I wouldn't need to wire so that when mains are on dipped stop do I?

Thanks

eh? your bulb has two filaments and 3 wires – dipped +, main + & earth -

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JamesyCottony

posted on 28/9/15 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by JamesyCottony

No.2

Thanks

eh? your bulb has two filaments and 3 wires – dipped +, main + & earth -

The light has 4 wires, Earth, dipped, main and side

adithorp

posted on 28/9/15 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
...but the headlight bulb has 3wires. Earth, head +ve, Main +ve.

If you connect the earth wire to the wrong terminal then you can get both fillaments on together giving the symptoms you describe. It'snot uncommon for people to wire the middle terminal on the bulb as earth by mistake... in fact it's common and I've even seem a major kit supplier do it.
However if what you mean is that it's possible to have the main beam on with the dip filament still on, then yes, you can but the bulb will overheat and blow pretty quickly; The dipped feed should be wired to go off when the main beam comes on to avoid this.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/9/15 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

If you connect the earth wire to the wrong terminal then you can get both fillaments on together giving the symptoms you describe. It'snot uncommon for people to wire the middle terminal on the bulb as earth by mistake... in fact it's common and I've even seem a major kit supplier do it.
However if what you mean is that it's possible to have the main beam on with the dip filament still on, then yes, you can but the bulb will overheat and blow pretty quickly; The dipped feed should be wired to go off when the main beam comes on to avoid this.

yip quite correct

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JamesyCottony

posted on 29/9/15 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

I connected it straight to the battery so that is why it is doing that then I'm guessing. Yea I don't want the two on at the same time as I know it will blow the bulbs. Would the metro loom automatically turn off the dipped once the main is turned on then?

adithorp

posted on 29/9/15 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
Probably but you would have to study a wiring diagram to be sure.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

JamesyCottony

posted on 25/3/16 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Another Quick one maybe?

There are a whole bunch of wires that are main battery feed, unfused (Brown)

They have a loop fitting on the end but what would they connect to?

There is nothing that requires power over that side of the engine and nothing anywhere nearby that looks like it is laking power?

ken555

posted on 25/3/16 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Does it not go to the starter solenoid, + battery connection to supply power to the loom.

JamesyCottony

posted on 25/3/16 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ken555
Does it not go to the starter solenoid, + battery connection to supply power to the loom.

One of the wires comes from the battery side already, and the starter coil already has, from the looks of it, power running to it?

EDIT:

Just had a look at google images of Metro engines and there are 2 wires coming off from the + of the battery terminal, so maybe it is......?

Battery is the other side of car though , ahh well, just have to extend it.

[Edited on 25/3/16 by JamesyCottony]

snowy2

posted on 26/3/16 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
to answer your questions..
1: Yes
2: No......your car needs to show a dip beam pattern that either deflects to the left or flat. the bulb needs to be correctly wired up.

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

snowy2

posted on 26/3/16 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
one of the problems in reusing car wiring looms is "extra wires" and wires that are way to long for the job in hand.....
the solution is.....

Rewire the car from scratch, its easy and much nicer looking......

the connections you see above are likely because the Metro used only a few fuses (so not much scope for multiple connections) and some connections will need good permanent live supplies. they could have used one chunky wire or several and route them to where they wanted......which is likely not what you need (heated rear windows for example....)

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

JamesyCottony

posted on 26/3/16 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snowy2
one of the problems in reusing car wiring looms is "extra wires" and wires that are way to long for the job in hand.....
the solution is.....

Rewire the car from scratch, its easy and much nicer looking......

the connections you see above are likely because the Metro used only a few fuses (so not much scope for multiple connections) and some connections will need good permanent live supplies. they could have used one chunky wire or several and route them to where they wanted......which is likely not what you need (heated rear windows for example....)

No going back now, I have spent much too long taking out unused wires haha, I have a whole carrier bag of ones taken out!!

As this wire connects straight to the battery, will this cable be thick enough for taking the current?

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/single-core-thin-wall-cable-10mm2-70a.html

[Edited on 26/3/16 by JamesyCottony]

JamesyCottony

posted on 26/3/16 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Or would this even be enough?

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/50-amp-single-core-thin-wall-auto-cable.html

JamesyCottony

posted on 28/3/16 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.