Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dash switches
jrod

posted on 23/10/16 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Dash switches

So I currently use the standard black rocker switches.

I'm fitting a carbon dashboard and trying to decide my best option for new switches.

I need the following switches:

Starter button
Horn
Rear fog
Indicator left
Indicator right
Side
Dip
Main
Hazard

I've look at the savage alloy type and these are my main idea currently but this becomes quite a lot of switches when you take into account you need 1 for each indicator, 1 for side and dip.

Has anyone got some good ideas or show me what they use currently?

Mash

posted on 23/10/16 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
I've got petty much what you want.

I used toggle switches for everything apart from starter button, and wired in lights to indicate when they are in use.

Looks like this (although I junked the aircraft type switch for a keyed ign switch, and the cheapo starter button for an illuminating savage button

[img] new dash test fit
new dash test fit
[/img]

TheHighlander123

posted on 23/10/16 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in the same situation aswell

Westfield SEIW 1700 Forged crossflow, twin 40s etc etc etc - Now about to do a ZX9R

jrod

posted on 23/10/16 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
I've found my inspiration.

JAG

posted on 24/10/16 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
I like that.

I particularly like the switch 'guards'

I've seen them on the BMW MINI - but not seen them available from any 'aftermarket' suppliers.

Does anyone know where they can be bought?

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

jrod

posted on 24/10/16 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
CBS sell them but they are £7 each!

I bought them from USA - even with the weak pound!
Classic U-shaped Toggle Switch Guards (Black Anodized Aluminum)

See his other items for different colours / finishes.

Irony

posted on 24/10/16 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I spent ages researching this and ended up buying stainless u bolts and toggle switches with LED indicators all bought from eBay

10x 4mm Stainless Steel U Bolts with Plate Nuts and Washers FREE DELIVERY]U bolts

12V 8mm LED PANEL PILOT DASH WARNING LIGHT INDICATOR LAMP Car Truck Van Boat -UK

I filed the clamped bit of the u bolt down so there was just a slight bit visible and it ended up like this

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

jrod

posted on 24/10/16 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Irony, How do the stalks work, do they just clamp to the outer column?
sdh2903

posted on 24/10/16 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have recently been researching switches a lot. You really only have a few options although its easier if you dont have IVA to deal with

1. push buttons, the most common being the savage switches. These look really nice but when you actually come to use them they feel awful and cheap and the fascia plates fall off at regular intervals, crap considering they are the best part of 20 quid a pop.

For a better feel of switch there are the caterham ones like in the link below, better to operate than the savage from what ive been told, but they are 23 quid each plus a fiver for the contact block and even then in the caterham they are controlled by a pcb, i assume they are very low current switches.

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/switches/4877-horn-switch-superlight-2011.html?search_query=switch&results=84

2. Rockers, either the standard durite or something like the carling ones which are available in hundreds of different configs, these are waterproof and very rugged if not particularly stylish (imo)

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/products/carling-switches-accessories/switches/carling-contura-ii-switch-787.html

3. Toggles, as above, can be made to look very nice indeed with a bit of effort.

My current build is using a carbon dash and I'd like something modern to complement it and the colour AIM dash im using and im honestly struggling to choose which way to go, i like the look of the caterham and savage switches but the caterhams are v expensive and slightly more complex to wire and the savage feel crap despite being expensive. I think im going to be heading down the toggle route.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.