Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ancient dizzy - oil or grease?
Mr Whippy

posted on 5/4/23 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Ancient dizzy - oil or grease?

Hi,

So the ancient mobile was running a bit rough and being a pest to start. So straight to the points and sure enough they were burnt (now reground) however doing my customary check on the shaft I was a bit disappointed to find it very wobbly so rubbish at keeping the setting correct. But as all old stuff comes to bits I had a look at the base bush and the shaft and didn't see much if any wear but it was kinda dry. I dipped the shaft in engine oil and put it together and ta da! it's fine

But thinking is this the best way? would it not be better if I used bearing grease as then it's not just going to run out over time?? just thought I'd bounce that off anyone who cared.

Oh yeah and any idea how I do a check on the capacitor as it looks as old as time itself and I'm sure they dry out or something. I'd normally look for a spark as a sign it's kaput but its 6 volts and sparks don't seem to be it's thing... (I'm constantly having to clean every terminal to get some feeble power!)

Cheers

[Edited on 5/4/23 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 6/4/23 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
You don’t say what car/engine it’s from which would help.
If there is oil splash from the drive gear then oil is what it’s designed for and you should check oil feed and any oil groves and lubrication holes, I mention this as I have just dismantled an old Pinto distributor and found oil groove round the shaft, oil feed hole drilled through the shaft and at the top of the shaft an oil throw spiral to toss any oil that reaches the top of the shaft back down the shaft. You could use sticky assembly oil to help until oil is washed onto the gears and drive shaft.

If the drive gear and shaft run in a dry space (I doubt this as very oils cars sprayed oil everywhere) then bearing grease would be helpful.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/4/23 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
It's the old Ford side valve in the Prefect. As there's not much going on in the top of the engine I suspect there is no oil splashing about. The manual states the usual drop of oil under the rotor but there's no way any of that is going to get all the way down to the shaft as there's plenty in the way. There was no groove on the shaft and the brass bushes are plain, I can certainly see why it ran dry.

My thoughts are -

Engine oil works but likely to heat up and run out leaving it dry again, maybe not a problem as the points only last about 2000 miles before servicing so could make removing the dizzy and oiling a service task.

Grease, maybe too thick and perhaps heat up from friction as the shaft does spin up to 1000rpm, could the grease start to boil and burn??

Open to suggestions just now as I'm waiting on a new strobe arriving.

Cheers.

[Edited on 6/4/23 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 6/4/23 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Grease is used in wheel bearings so I can’t see 1k rpm being a problem but my previous comment on assembly lube is worth a look as it designed for all plain bearings until oil washes it out and you are not getting any oil out

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

cliftyhanger

posted on 6/4/23 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Are they not PB bushes, which just need an initial soak in oil?
I recently repaired a rare (ish) dolly sprtint dizzy which had a worn bush, thieving one from another lucas distributor that happens to use teh same bushes, a vast improvement. The bushes may be available new?

deffo no electronic module available? always worth a try.

Be warned. a lot of the brand new idgnition stuff is dreadful quality. Condensors are no exception, often not being fit for purpose. I would try to find genuine NOS stuff, fit it and keep the old, known working stuff in the glovebox.

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/4/23 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Well in the end I just left it coated with oil and the difference in the play of the shaft is remarkable. I will just make it a regular service item to re-oil the shaft. Also found out that this engine can't use a strobe so that was a waist of money brand new strobe available for £10...

I'm starting to realise this car is so super weird in how it works, my previous knowledge of old cars is not applying very well but I'm getting there.

cliftyhanger

posted on 8/4/23 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I'm starting to realise this car is so super weird in how it works, my previous knowledge of old cars is not applying very well but I'm getting there.

I am pretty OK with 60s-80s stuff. However, I have inherited a pair of cars from a good friend. One is a 64 Triumph Vitesse, a car he loved. I drove it at his funeral, and it is the best driving car of that type I have driven. He was a pro mechanic for many years, and it shows.
The curveball is a 1937 Singer Super 9 saloon that is coming with the vitesse. He restored it for a client, and my friend inherited it at some point.
It has some interesting features, such as a freewheel setting, clutchless gearchange, but also has a clutch pedal. I may need some advice on that before driving it. Fortuanately it is relatively modern, it is OHC and I recognise most of the stuff bolted to the engine.
Not sure if that will stay, I suspect not. It is likely to be sold at some point, and the monies raised invested in the Triumph.

Benzine

posted on 8/4/23 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy doing my customary check on the shaft I was a bit disappointed to find it very wobbly

There are plenty of treatments available these days for that

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/23 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.