Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tiny indicator mounting
02GF74

posted on 13/12/05 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
tiny indicator mounting

I've decided to ditch the large indicator/sidelamps in favour of tiny motorcycle style indicator (photos of both have appeared in SVA section). ... and before anyone points out, I'm pretty sure the head lamps do have the small side bulb lamp.

I got a 1m length of aluminium tubing from B&Q that it is big enough so after I have ovalised the ends and with a bit of trimming of the indicator stalks, they should fit neatly inside the tube.

I can either feed the whole tube through the nose cone, like now or to save a bit of weight, fit some strengthening rings to the nose cone where the tubes go through and use shorter length of tubing that bolt onto the rings.

Advantage of using 1 long tube is it is easier to fit and the indicators won't sag.

Using 2 short tubes requires strengthening of the holes so that indicators won't sag but is lighter and does not impede air flow to radiator (ok, we are talking small differences but it all counts!).

Just wondering if anyone has gone with the second approach.

indicator rod
indicator rod

ReMan

posted on 13/12/05 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Not done mine yet, just getting ther now and I will be firtting small units.
I like the idea of a single tube that runs throgh side to side, I dont think airflow of weight is going to be an issue with that size. Just need some sort of grip ring round the tube on the inside of the nose to stop it sliding side to side, a nice version of a hoseclip type affair?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

02GF74

posted on 13/12/05 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I guess the tube is ok; as you can see it has hose clips to stop side to side but nothing to stop the indicators rotating up or down.

Also in the centre is a join - copper tube - that allows for individual aligment of the lamps.

My plan is to rduce the surface area of the tube somehow. The rod I have currently is steel with brackets for fairly big lamps so I will save a coupl 100 g I reckon.

[Edited on 13/12/05 by 02GF74]

emsfactory

posted on 13/12/05 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Have you got a picture showing th indicators from the outside of the nose cone?
02GF74

posted on 13/12/05 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emsfactory
Have you got a picture showing th indicators from the outside of the nose cone?

not sure what you are hoping to see but it is a rod going through a hole in the nose cone; the photo of mine with the tiny indicators tied on with string is described in here:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=35374

just think of the reduced air resistance usingthe tiny ones

[Edited on 13/12/05 by 02GF74]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.