Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dashboard indicator warning lamp
nick205

posted on 10/4/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
dashboard indicator warning lamp

My loom has feeds for individual left an right indicator warning lamps, but I want to fit a single lamp. Could I fit a diode in-line with each feed and the connect both the the one lamp?

Lamps are 2W so what sort of diodes and where from?

Cheers
Nick

k33ts

posted on 10/4/06 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
half asleep you will

something like this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46407&criteria=diode%20&doy=10m4

probably overkill but wont let you down

[Edited on 10/4/06 by k33ts]

tukcustoms.com

Chippy

posted on 10/4/06 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
At 24p per one, definately a locost solution.
Dusty

posted on 10/4/06 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Forget the diodes. Just take a feed from R & L indicator circuits to a bulb. One to the center pin, one to the side contact. No earth. The inactive side acts as the earth through its three bulbs without them lighting but passing enough current for the dash lamp to light. You will need a separate warning lamp for hazards.
nick205

posted on 11/4/06 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
cheers guys!

Off to Maplin it is then

02GF74

posted on 11/4/06 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
Forget the diodes. Just take a feed from R & L indicator circuits to a bulb. One to the center pin, one to the side contact. No earth. The inactive side acts as the earth through its three bulbs without them lighting but passing enough current for the dash lamp to light. You will need a separate warning lamp for hazards.

Have you tried this?

I don't understand ^^^^ - can you draw circuit diagram (I don't think it would work either )

nick205

posted on 11/4/06 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
I understand what Dusty means, but I'm going to fit some diodes anyway as I don't want to be doing the job twice if it doesn't work.

cct diagram of what I'm planning to do... Rescued attachment indicator lamp wiring.jpg
Rescued attachment indicator lamp wiring.jpg

Peteff

posted on 11/4/06 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Which side will power it when you put the hazards on Take a feed to the bulb from the power into your indicator stalk instead of the outs and you only have one light.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

nick205

posted on 11/4/06 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
lamp is only for indicators, have a separate one for hazard warning.

Not a bad idea though

Dusty

posted on 12/4/06 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
Thats how I did it when I made my loom and it works fine.
(If you take a feed from before the relay it is an ignition live and the bulb will be on. If from between relay and indicator switch it will activate the relay and you may get the light on constant, rapid blink or off but current will be flowing all the time the ignition is on.) Rescued attachment dashbulb.jpg
Rescued attachment dashbulb.jpg

02GF74

posted on 12/4/06 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
[img]http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=42611&pid=354388[/img]

that still doesn;t make sense to me. the bulbs must have 2 connectos, 12 V and 0 V; I only see one common wire. Accroding to that digram, either you owuld be shorting 12 to gorund or else the indicator bulb has to be grouned via the indicatos in whcih case they would come on.

Peteff

posted on 12/4/06 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
(If you take a feed from before the relay it is an ignition live and the bulb will be on

Yes but nobody suggested that. The one to the switch was the one to go for. If it's in series it shouldn't make any difference to the relay.

[Edited on 12/4/06 by Peteff] Rescued attachment dashbulb.jpg
Rescued attachment dashbulb.jpg

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Dusty

posted on 14/4/06 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
Lets say you are indicating right. The indicator bulb recieves power from the right indicator circuit and grounds through the three bulbs in the left indicator circuit. The amount of current flowing through it is insufficient to light the bulbs in the left indicator circuit it is grounding through.
This is how I wired mine and it does work. 100%. Try it. Definitely lo-cost as no extra bits needed.
If you put the dash bulb in series between the relay and the switch how is it going to flow enough current to light three bulbs down stream of it?

[Edited on 14/4/06 by Dusty]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.