Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lighting sets
RoadkillUK

posted on 27/7/03 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Lighting sets

I'm about to invest in a lighting set, I've spent some time looking at the Stuart Taylor and the Lolocost set. I prefer the look of the Lolocost set with the all in one rear light cluster as opposed to the ST round ones. A couple of questions follow...

1. Do either of these sets include sidelights in the sealed beams?

2. Are the ST rear lights 'angled' for when they are fastened to the rear wheel arches?

3. Are there any other suppliers of lighting sets or would it be a matter of finding individual lights?

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ian Pearson

posted on 27/7/03 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Bought my headlights (with side lights)from Stafford Vehicle Componenets, rear light cluster from Caterham, side repeaters, fog and reverse lights from Vehicle Wiring Products and the front indicators from MPS.
Wadders

posted on 27/7/03 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
At Newark, Anthony Staffords had some really neat rear lights on show, round ones in an oblong carbon fibre housing,looked exactly the same as westfields except about half the price. Their front lights are very good quality as well, made from brass complete with side lights.

i]Originally posted by RoadkillUK
I'm about to invest in a lighting set, I've spent some time looking at the Stuart Taylor and the Lolocost set. I prefer the look of the Lolocost set with the all in one rear light cluster as opposed to the ST round ones. A couple of questions follow...

1. Do either of these sets include sidelights in the sealed beams?

2. Are the ST rear lights 'angled' for when they are fastened to the rear wheel arches?

3. Are there any other suppliers of lighting sets or would it be a matter of finding individual lights?

westdown

posted on 28/7/03 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Lighting set

Lolocost lighting set ok for the money but two problems I've come across so far.

1. The side repeaters do not seem to have a E mark, not to much of a problem.

2. The kit comes with sealed beam units which have a clear circle for the side light. This means you have to have a side light holder, which is a dome like thing attached to the main plug. This is not supplied with the kit. They were fitted to most early cars (60/70s) which had sealed beam units fitted. They are not easy to find but you can buy new at £4.50 a side, so its a bit of a toss up between spending £9.00 or converting to non sealed units. If any one should have a couple laying around!!!!!

RoadkillUK

posted on 28/7/03 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, I got an email from Lolocost today explaining that the Sealed beam units don't come with sidelights, but these can be bought for £7 each.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Bradbury

posted on 29/7/03 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Sealed beam units

The sealed beam units supplied by lolocost are (according to the Robin Hood builders forum) not particularly good. They will pass SVA but the beam pattern is lousy and most people seem to end up upgrading them to halogens (which usually have the sidelight holder built into the reflector). RH owners also complain that the chromed bodies rust easily.

JonB

PS, Robin Hood Engineering is the same firm as Lolocost.

[Edited] On the other hand they are cheap and look good. On balance I'd recommend them if you get halogen conversions fitted and paint the insides of the bodies with a rust preventer, plus keep an eye on the chrome.

[Edited on 29/7/03 by Jon Bradbury]

robinbastd

posted on 29/7/03 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
The Robin Hood chrome peels off like a lepers skin. Sorry to any lepers out there for comparing them to Nottinghams finest.
If you retain their sealed beam headlamps you'll be restricted to driving at less than 10mph in the dark. Best to convert to halogens or hold a good torch in your mouth whilst driving. This has it's advantages as if you turn your head into a bend you'll light your way.BMW do something similar!

Ian

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

Mark Allanson

posted on 29/7/03 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Try classic car accessories, I got a pair, they are very cheap, halogen, with a side light, mild steel case (needs a good coat of paint inside, but not a problem) www.classiccaraccessories.co.uk
MK7

posted on 30/7/03 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a complete set of lights and fittings from premier wiring at Newark. I spent about £150 but I'm happy with the deal when I compare the looks and quality against the lolocost product.

I went for black rather than chrome headlights, motor cycle front indicators, number plate light, separate, 3 1/2" diameter rear indicators (2), brake / tail light (2) fog light (1) and reversing light (1). Each was supplied with a mounting base and the appropriate connectors.

I also picked up a set of wing mirros within that £150. The only thing I missed was the side repeaters but I've just ordereed them from Vehicle Wiring Products for around £1.50 each.

The headlamps from premier include the side lights.

Russell

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.