Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is there any surveyors on here??
Danozeman

posted on 27/6/07 at 05:47 AM Reply With Quote
Is there any surveyors on here??

Iv just bought a new house, well an old 50's house. What sort of things will the survey look at? Im only having a basic jobbie. I know they look at the walls and floors etc to see if its falling down. Cant remember what else they look at.

Its got an old fuse board and i probably old wiring. Is the survey likely to pick it up if it will need rewiring?? Its not a problem if it does but just wondered.

Its got a nice big garage for the locost to live in!! Only trouble is my sva has now been put backward as i need the cash etc to move

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

iank

posted on 27/6/07 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote
Not a surveyor, but had a few done over the years.

A valuation survey is the most basic and seems to consist of a surveyor practically running around the house counting rooms and jotting down vague sizes before charging you £200 to say it's worth about what you are paying (bit cynical about those having just had one done). It tells you virtually nothing.

Next up is the 'homebuyer' survey which should be fine for a 50's house. This is what it should contain according to their professional body.

http://www.rics.org/RICSWEB/getpage.aspx?p=A256FRYiREqTNlUH9wJDaA

I seem to remember lot's of 'should get a professional xyz survey' language where xyz included electrics from the last one I had (3 years ago).

If the surveyor can see obviously dodgy wiring he should say so as it obviously affects the value, and will recommend an electrical survey for more detail if it looks old.

Finally a full building survey is a frightening thing to read as it includes even minor problems, but can be worth every penny when negotiating the price down.

[Edited on 27/6/07 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Macbeast

posted on 27/6/07 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
I got a basic survey when I bought my flat and really it didn't tell me much. It was full of things like "it's an old building, you ought to have a survey of the drains" - "there's a tree in the garden, you ought to have a survey that the roots aren't damaging the foundations" - " without lifting the carpets we cannot tell...."

They missed the dry rot and dated the building to 1920s in defiance of the plaque over the front door that says "1898".

I suppose you ought to have one in case they spot something that you've missed but your £150 jobby isn't going to give you anything that you couldn't spot with a bit of care and common sense.

smart51

posted on 27/6/07 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
The most basic survey is little more than a valuation for mortgage purposes. I found this out when buying my current house. They said that the roof should be inspected before the full mortgage amount is paid. This from sticking their head through the loft hatch with a torch for 20 seconds. Pay the extra for a proper survey where the check the house in detail for problems.
fesycresy

posted on 27/6/07 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Couldn't agree more with smart51.

I had a survey done on an old house, realising it needed some work. I paid for the middle level survey, but the surveyor knew his stuff.

Collapsed drains washing away the footings causing subsidance, sub floor timbers gone, wall ties, roof timbers, damp proofing, he checked plans and found old mines beneath the houses etc etc etc.

The house looked pretty good from outside ! No way the house was worth the money - glad I had a surveyor.

HTH

Lyn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

chockymonster

posted on 27/6/07 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
THe minimum I go for is a homebuyers be aware that they cover their own backsides 100%

Everything will require inspection by someone else but they make recommendations and give their opinion.
The one we had done on our old house the surveyor missed condensation, rising damp, plaster blowing off the walls. The carpets were so wet that there were woodlice living on top of it!

We sued him and got 7k in compensation which wasn't bad for a £350 survey!

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r3nuf

posted on 27/6/07 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
They usually use a caveat relating to potential Asbestos containing materials.

Generally this can be discharged easily, but sometimes the Mortgage companys pick up on it.

If you need any help getting over this just contact me Dan. We can get over this the Locost way!

Drive Fast....Brake Late....Take Chances

andyharding

posted on 27/6/07 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
From experience mortgage surveys are worth feck all and even an independent one is so full of "maybe"s it's a waste of money. Much better to get a builder or property developer to give you a verbal report as you will learn a lot more.

P.S. My mortgage survey resulted in me having to spend £250 on an engineers report on a crack that "may" be a problem but wasn't. They totally missed the huge crack in a chimney that subsequently collapsed through my bathroom ceiling, through the bathroom floor and ended up in the kitched

[Edited on 27/6/07 by andyharding]

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

clockwork

posted on 27/6/07 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
If you know a good surveyor, it's a no-brainer.

On the two occasions we have used them, they were both rubbish, in fact worse than rubbish. Things that we were told were fine we didn't inspect and had to sort (rotten floorboards covered over with laminate etc). Things he said weren't fine were. The second assessor we had was a lazy, lying toad (couldn't see into the roof due to boxes. The roof was empty before and 10 minutes after his visit).

The amount of "maybe" and " a house of this type can expect" would cover his derrier very easily, and as such I was very disappointed with each of my £350/£400 worth.

Having said that; a colleague had a mortgage assesment survey that came with a huge list of problems that they used to knock £25k off the price of the house...

The only thing that will cover your arse is a full structural survey, but they are very expensive of properties.

I've always wondered if your house insurance would cover your rebuild if anything was wrong anyway?

I wish you luck.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin.
"Well if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" Morons the world over.

Locost/Kit builders info and FAQ website:- www.carbuilders.info

rgr33n

posted on 27/6/07 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
as above really. homebuyer report will be the absolute min i would suggest you go for. the "survey" required by your mortgage lender will be a mortgage valuation only.
it;s well worth considering a full structural survey. get a quote and if you don't like it, you can make an informed decision

[i am a surveyor, but not the type you;re looking for, ie a building surveyor ]

Danozeman

posted on 27/6/07 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Its a homebuyer report iv gone for.

Thanks for your help lads its very usefull. I may well get it changed.

I tried to buy a house before the one im in now and i had a big survey done and the bank wouldnt give us the money as a result. All the things they found werent actually a problem and i would have been 50k up now.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

rgr33n

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
if you have a full structural survey which you lender doesn't know about (ie produced for your own peace of mind, not for lending purposes), then that wouldn't be an issue

all a lender will usually require is a mortgage valuation - some properties will of course warrant more detailed inspection, but if they don't ask for a structural survey; you're not obliged to provide a copy of one

DarrenW

posted on 28/6/07 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
I had homebuyers report done on old cottage once. It said the front wall was bulging and needed structural. Got structural serveyor out, couldnt explain cause but said no movement had occured for years so basically nothing to worry about. Later i sussed out what the bulge was. Front of house was rendered (presumably the stone was weathered). The bulge was weird as it was maybe only 2 foot wide, between upstairs and downstairs windows and almost ran full length of the house (it was end terraced and the bulge stopped a foot before the bable end). It turned out to be where builder had rendered over armoured electricity supply cable!

what i have gleaned from this thread is - for valuation just go for what the lender needs and if you want piece of mind commission independant homebuyers o structural. This way the lender just gets the basic report and anything on 2nd survey if FYEO and can be used as part of negotiation without the lender getting cold feet.

rgr33n

posted on 28/6/07 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
my views exactly

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.