Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis Earths
JoelP

posted on 19/9/03 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Chassis Earths

What are people doing for earths? Just welding a bolt on? Are there ant bolts to be avoided (ie poor conductivity...)?

Thanks in advance...

David Jenkins

posted on 19/9/03 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
For the main 'system earth' I welded in a slab of metal with an 8mm hole tapped into it. All the main stuff gets a soldered 'eye' which is held down into this with a bolt.

There are some local earths where the current would be high (e.g. next to the headlight connectors).

David

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/9/03 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
bolts are OK. Better than rivets.

Important thing is surface area. Make sure the bolt is well in contact with the metal.

I used two main earth 'studs' under the dash - bolts welded to the chassis - four or so at the rear for lamps, same for front.

REALLY IMPORTANT is that you have a good earth to the engine and another to the gearbox. if you dont, the starter motor current will go places it shouldnt - like throttle and clutch cables - and you will get a fire!

atb

steve

JoelP

posted on 20/9/03 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
thanks chaps, i lost the thread for a min and only just found it again! doh...

so any old bolts ok? just though maybe stainless or galv etc might not be ok...

stephen_gusterson

posted on 20/9/03 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
as long as it welds (if thats how you moun them) it will be fine.

atb

steve

MB

posted on 21/9/03 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
I certainly echo the bit about making sure you get a good earth to the engine as well as the chassis.

The most stupid thing I have managed in my build so far was to hand tighten up my earth bolts. In my eargerness to start up the engine I forgot to tighten them properly... the last thing I expected was to see the clutch cable glow red and start smoking - doh!

Learned that the hard way!

Top tip: make sure you can disconnect the battery quick, standard battery clamps take far to long!

JoelP

posted on 21/9/03 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
i reckon im gonna drill a hole thru both sides of a tube and get a bolt about 40 or 50mm. put it all the way thru and weld the head, then it'll just be a nice clean thread coming out of a tube. and use big washers soldered onto the wires. Should be ok.

in thinking a big one for the battery and engine earth, another for the g box, 2 for the dash area, 4 front and 4 back. the horn earths thru its housing n'est pas?!

anyone remembered any others?

GO

posted on 22/9/03 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Having a powder coated chassis and absolutely no welding ability whatsoever, I've been pondering the earth question.

I'm thinking of using an 8mm brass rivnut with a bolt to secure, probably using soldered washers as above. Would that make a good enough connection?

darren(SA)

posted on 22/9/03 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I ran the earth cable from my battery, to one of the g/box bolts, from a g/box bolt on the other side to the bolt holding my engine mount. worked very well while being very neat at the same time!

cheers
darren

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 23/9/03 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
the earth connection to the engine needs to be REALLY GOOD.

no soldering to washers or rivnuts.

You need to get a good large area between the chassis and the earth tag. Just a bit of resistance at 300 odd amps will cause a voltage drop that will make your starter run on low volts and the joint get hot.

A rivnut would need to be tight as it joins the steel, and you would need to clamp the tag against a nice 'tag sized' area of clean bare metal.

Dont spend money on earth braids and power cables. Scrap yards are full of em and they can be cleaned up to look like new.

atb

steve

JoelP

posted on 23/9/03 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
got the original wires from the donor, a polish and that should suffice?

would the engine earth rather go straight to the battery, or does it want to go to the chassis anyway? thinking about it, i suppose its the altenator it should head for?

gonna wire to the chassis anyway with the battery on the same bolt, so its just a matter of interest.

since the altenator effectivly goes from the live to earth its easy to forget that the current actually goes backward thru it, charging the battery. so is everything, including the battery, really earthed on the alternator?

that might actually be a confusing way to word it....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.