Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: front indicators on mudguard
david cromie

posted on 23/9/03 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
front indicators on mudguard

Anyone know where I can get the indicators that can be mounted on the front guards. the car is a mk indy.
jonti

posted on 24/9/03 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Just had a look in a catalogue I picked up at Donny last year from Coach Trimming Supplies in Brum 0121 694 5664. They do a double filament one in chrome (£28 each..ouch!) Or, have a look in one of the Classic Car mags like 'Practical Classics'

Sounds a nice idea actually...does anyone know what SVA has to say about it ?.......Actually, thinking about it, I'd guess you'd probably be ok if you're fitting the clamshell wings but probably not if you're using cycle type.

Comments chaps ?

[Edited on 24/9/03 by jonti]

OFROK

stephen_gusterson

posted on 24/9/03 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
i think it might be classed as having sva visibility issues......the mudguards turn with the steering so dont always point forwards.

I also wonder if the vibration of being right above the wheel, and not cushioned by the suspension, would cause bulbs to fail early.

atb

steve

[Edited on 24/9/03 by stephen_gusterson]

eddie

posted on 24/9/03 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
if you really want em, every motorbike parts place will do fairing mounted indecators, tip em on their side, and POW! wing mountable indecators......

[Edited on 24/9/03 by eddie]

Please feel free in advance to: correct, update, ridicule or laugh and point at any comments made by myself in this post....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stu16v

posted on 24/9/03 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Got em on mine, as Eddie says, fairing indicators off a motorbike, although Europa sell em as well. I sprayed the inside of mine with silver paintto give a bit more 'reflection' as they looked a bit dim when they were flashing originally. IIRC they are available with 10 watt or 23 watt bulbs.

HTH Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

david cromie

posted on 24/9/03 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
mudguard indicators

Tks for all the help, I will be using MKs cycle guards, anyone passed the sva with them fitted? any other comments welcome
Mix

posted on 25/9/03 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at www.busters-online.co.uk

Lights, mirrors, fasteners at pretty good prices I think

Mick

DaveFJ

posted on 25/9/03 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
There was a car at donnington with cycle wings that had these fitted - I will try to dig out the picture when I get home tonight.

This lot : http://www.mandp.co.uk/ do a great selection

[Edited on 25/9/03 by protofj]

blueshift

posted on 25/9/03 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
The car in the caterham documentary last night on bbc2 had front cycle wing-mounted indicator repeaters, fwiw.

oh, so that's why it says cateringvan all the time all over the forums.. I thought everyone had a poor sense of humour, but no, it's just chrisw and his word substitution filter :p

[Edited on 25/9/03 by blueshift]

locoboy

posted on 25/9/03 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham

looks ok to me?

[Edited on 25/9/03 by colmaccoll]

ATB
Locoboy

blueshift

posted on 25/9/03 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
caterham

let's see..

buh, it didn't do that before.

[Edited on 25/9/03 by blueshift]

Spyderman

posted on 25/9/03 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
The only thing I would be concerned about would be the wiring to the indicator.

If it goes through the mudguard then it could come into contact with the tyre and wear through.
Also where it goes from body to mudguard will need extra care securing.

It's possibly something that could be modded after SVA?

Terry

Spyderman

stephen_gusterson

posted on 25/9/03 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
its got to be caterham in a sentance or Caterham with caps

-

the above has the first cater ham in lower case, the one that came out had upper case C

it has to not be the first word in sentance too

inconsistent - just like the shyte - poo thing.

you learn so much useful stuff building a car...!

[Edited on 25/9/03 by stephen_gusterson]

eddie

posted on 27/9/03 at 01:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spyderman
The only thing I would be concerned about would be the wiring to the indicator.

If it goes through the mudguard then it could come into contact with the tyre and wear through.
Also where it goes from body to mudguard will need extra care securing.

you could use those wafer thin LED repeaters and then araldite the wiring to the underside of the wing, then run the wiring down the outside of the wing support brackets, and finally spiral wrap the wiring to the brake pipe and into the body.

its just an idea, may be complete 'bullocks' but what would i know?

Please feel free in advance to: correct, update, ridicule or laugh and point at any comments made by myself in this post....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blueshift

posted on 27/9/03 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder if you could run a strip of that light-emmiting stuff (LEP?) round the edge of a cycle wing as a repeater.. might not be bright enough I suppose. rather individual styling though. It's sold as PC case mods.
eddie

posted on 27/9/03 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
some od the new generation LED's are amazingly bright, i'm considdering using LED lighting for everything but my headlamps

there are led light cluisters fitted to Buses and the like so they must be available 'e' marked, the main advantage is the long life of them (no worrying about checking bulbs for the MOT / SVA)

only downer is if a unit gets damaged, then you have to bin it and get a new one....

and they look kinda trick (which is nice)

mad4x4

posted on 14/10/03 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

there are led light clusters fitted to Buses and the like so they must be available 'e' marked

Buses are 30feet long and 8ft wide. Won't the cluster be rather on the large side for a KIT?

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Peteff

posted on 14/10/03 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
They are used for race brake lights and some are available with a bulb type bayonet fitting as a direct replacement but they are very expensive in comparison with a bulb.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

GO

posted on 14/10/03 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone found a supplier of LED lights?

The buses round here do a funky thing with their rear lights, only a small section of the LED array is lit for rear lights, then the whole lot comes on when braking. You could wire them up to display you're own pattern. Could be kinda cool.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.