Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OMG - this looks complicated!
lsdweb

posted on 5/11/07 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
OMG - this looks complicated!

Well I've bitten the bullet and scrapped the old dash / wiring. I'm now going to fit the upgraded (K3) Emerald ECU, Race Technology data logger and Dash 1 all connected via CAN BUS and Race Technology's serial converter (Beta version).

But it looks pretty complicated Rescued attachment omg.jpg
Rescued attachment omg.jpg

mookaloid

posted on 5/11/07 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
As a last resort, if the going really gets tough and you don't know where else to turn 'cos you're totally desperate......

Read the instructions

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Davey D

posted on 5/11/07 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
ooooh i love playing with boxes of electronic trickery i cant wait till im at the stage of getting all my wiring sorted out

SixedUp

posted on 5/11/07 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Red is normally +12v, and black is normally Earth. Hope that helps!!!!! :-)

Seriously, looks like a neat bit of kit ... some reading of the manuals looks to be in order though.
Cheers
Richard

lsdweb

posted on 6/11/07 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

Race Techology's help files are very good and there's a forum.

Emerald are also very good so I'm optimistic!

All I need now is my car to fit it all in! It's away having the exhaust remade to take the new engine.

Wyn

wilkingj

posted on 6/11/07 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Take your time.
Lay everything out on the kitchen table BEFORE you even consider bolting it in the car. (This is easier that trying to do the identification stage when fitted to the car)

RTFM....

Yes...

RTFM (Thats.... Read The Feckin Manual)

Read it some more.

Now Identify and LABEL every wire / connector that you can. The unidentifiable ones do last, as it gets most of that job out the way, and its a psychological ploy that you are making progress. (It does work).

Once you have identified and labelled all the wires, you can then start to fit the boxes and looms to the car.

DONT fit the ECU Box under the bonnet, it wont like the temperature changes and is more prone to getting moisture into it. Fit it up under the dashboard inside the car. Make sure you can easilty get to the Comms port for connecting to the computer.

Once that is done, start to connect it all up.

Then CHECK... and CHECK again, that all the connections are good, and in the right places.

Do any programming and try to start the car!.

Its not as hard as it seems. Good preparation is the key, Treat each portion of the wiring as an individual circuit.

The whole this is made up of lots of smaller circuits. Treat the whole lot as individual circuits, and it will be a lot easier to deal with in your mind.

Emerald systems are good and so its the blooke that makes them.

Finally once its all running, book a day on Daves Rolling road, take the car, and get it set up properly, it will make a world of difference to the performance.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 6/11/07 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Dash to emerald is CAN bus connected IIRC. So Two wires and you're done. ECU wiring is best done one sensor at a time assuming the ECU has some kind of debug output.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

SixedUp

posted on 6/11/07 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
One additional tip: I fitted my Emerald right in the back of the dash well out of the way of anything, and its a royal pain to get the serial lead (in my case) attached to reprogramme it. I reckon its well worth buying a short extension cable, so you can mount the connector you plug the laptop into somewhere more accessible.
Cheers
Richard

lsdweb

posted on 6/11/07 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys

I didn't explain myself clearly enough (story of my life!). The Emerald has been in the car since it was built over a year ago. I've upgraded it to the K3 spec which has CAN BUS ability so the wiring will be simpler than it was before! I had individual gauges, the Emerald and the DL1 data logger all wired in on a custom loom I built. This install should, really, be simpler to wire althoughh I'm sure it'll be more complicated in setting up!! I'm going to build a new loom I think as a lot of the circuits will change, i.e. all sensors (except GPS) will feed just the ECU and I'll then use the two-wire connection between the ECU and the data logger to handle everything for the logger and dash.

As for mounting the ECU under the dash - there's no room! The ECU sits behind my head on the 'bulkhead'.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Wyn

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.