Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuses
JoelP

posted on 5/10/03 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Fuses

according to mr haynes, the sierra uses 7 fuses for lights. two for the main beams, two for the dipped beams, two for sides and tails, and one more for numbers, instrument and fogs.

how many are really needed on el locost? im making mine from scratch and would like fewer fuses for simplicity.

anyone care to sum up all fuses?!? thanks in advance...

Ben_Copeland

posted on 6/10/03 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
In that case.... I'd like to know to please

Have to find out what Amp's the lights draw. The Sierra Lights probably draw more Amps than the locost ones

A Badger

posted on 6/10/03 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
I'm currently at the wiring design stage..

In terms of lighting circuits I was going to split down into the following

Stop/Tail lights 2x21W + 2x5W current = 4.333 Amps.
Side Lights 14W, current = 1.2 A
Fog Light/ Reversing light 2 x 21W current = 3.5 Amps
Indicators 94W current= 7.83 Amps
Headlamps 240W current = 20 Amps

Most Fuse holders hold 6 fuses, so I may have to partner some loads to allow space for other elements. I'm not having a screen so don't need Fan/Wipera but will need to add in ignition loads, instruments, electric fan for cooling and horn etc. Potentiall It is all doable within 6 Fuses.

However spliting circuits out has a great advantage if anything goes wrong. E.g. if you headlight are on a different circuit to sidelights, in the event of a short, your sidelights may still work even though dipped beam does not. Helps with tracking down problems too.

I think ultimately I will use 2 x 6 way fuse boxes. Use one of the boxes for loads that are always on (or 1 click of the ign switch) and the other for loads that are only on when the ign is on.

Andrew

JoelP

posted on 6/10/03 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
sounds good, thanks for that. i cant actually think of any other fuses apart from fan and horn, so 6 is easily enough. 4 fuses thru the ignition and maybe the horn hazards and fan perminantly live?

how about relays? i guess theres definitely one for the horn and headlights. any others?

sorry to lean on people so much, but theres no point in me doing it wrong! TIA...

Peteff

posted on 6/10/03 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
I fused the sidelights separate each side in case so I would have one rear light at least. The bulbs are same as donor Sierra so current should be same. I used the relays for dip and main from the donor as well.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.