Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Full and Dipped lights for Custom Saab 96
trogdor

posted on 18/9/08 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Full and Dipped lights for Custom Saab 96

Hi all

Have been thinking far into the future for my saab 96 project.

I have seen a pair of projector headlights from Car Builder Solutions. These come in dipped and full beam versions. So if i used these then i would need sidelights and full beam lights.

I have seen rectangular headlights that could be used behind the grill. I have annotated a picture to show. There will be a 4mm gap around the headlights between them and the chrome rings. I intend to make a ring of LEDs to work as sidelights.

Therefore my question is it fine to have dipped beam lights and another set of lights to act as the full beam portion of the headlights. Can they be in the centre of the grill as shown in the picture.

Many thanks Rescued attachment saablights.jpg
Rescued attachment saablights.jpg

britishtrident

posted on 18/9/08 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Why not order some of these Rescued attachment heade.jpg
Rescued attachment heade.jpg

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Mark G

posted on 18/9/08 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trogdor
Therefore my question is it fine to have dipped beam lights and another set of lights to act as the full beam portion of the headlights. Can they be in the centre of the grill as shown in the picture.

I don't see why not, Think about it. Mercs have main beam seperate to dipped...

Peteff

posted on 18/9/08 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
There's no measurement for the position of the main beam lights so you could literally put them anywhere you want.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DarrenW

posted on 18/9/08 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Why not order some of these

Sorry but that just cracked me up

DarrenW

posted on 18/9/08 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Is it worth a chat with local MOT place. Might be restrictions on heights and spacings. Are both dipped and main tested with the special gauge during MOT or just one beam?

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/9/08 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
although this is one of the old volvo's (great cars to custom) how about this kind of look for your SAAB? I think it would look fantastic.

linky Rescued attachment volvo.jpg
Rescued attachment volvo.jpg

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
D Beddows

posted on 19/9/08 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Nahhh - this is what you want to do

Actualy, the more I look at that the cooler it gets

trogdor

posted on 19/9/08 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
well its not meant to be sensible! besides at least it will be weather proof and have a hint of practicality.

I must admit the volvo looks nice, I am having trouble decided exactly what my saab will look like. Am deffo keeping its colour, i like dark green cars!

I suspose my main question was is it ok to have the main beams close to the centre of the car, it will look like one light from a distance. I guess i will have to ask for clarification in due time. Should spend more time thinking about more important things like getting the suspension straight!

That orange saab is very typical of a modified saab i want to shy from that. Besides have seen how much those alloys cost? not cheap seeing as the PCD of the saab 96 is pretty unique although mine will have a mondeos at the back soon! Will change it at the front too, with saab 900 hubs.

If you think this isn't sensible guess which wheels the handbrake will be acting on? a la saab 900 (some of them at least)

trogdor

posted on 19/9/08 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
I think that volvo would be a good basis, Am thinking of using the volvo hot rod i saw on retro rides as inspiration for the interior. Less is more.

Do you know what wheels those are? Am tempted to mount the strut tops quite high in the car so it will have decent suspension travel but will also be low on the ground.

One plus to the saab is there is nothing below the floor pan, (apart for the exhaust but that is long gone) so is ideal to lower!

D Beddows

posted on 19/9/08 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be honest, I don't quite understand how having tacky LED halo sidelights is less 'modified Saab' than the orange car but each to their own I'm guessing you must have seen the black Scandinavian one that looks a little 911ish - sorry but I think that's rather cool as well

Just out of interest what is the pcd on a 96 then? - and if it's not 108 why did you want the wheels I gave you!

trogdor

posted on 22/9/08 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
the PCD is 5 x170 for a saab 96 or something like that, is bigger than a transits i know that!

I wanted the 4x108 pcd for the mondeo suspension that i am fitting to the saab. I will hopefully be able to change the front PCD as well.

It also gives me a wide choice of wheels!

(corrected PCD)

[Edited on 22/9/08 by trogdor]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.