Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil light opposites
Neil P

posted on 11/7/10 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Oil light opposites

I'm running a Toyota 4AGE in my car and using sierra gauges.

I've taken the wire from the pressure sensor and run it directly to the oil light input on the sierra clocks.

When I switch on, the oil light doesn't come on as you would expect but does when the engine is running. It flickers at tickover then lights constantly above that.

Being something of an electrics numpty, I'm struggling to understand why. Has anyone got any ideas how to put this right, please?

Cheers

Neil

britishtrident

posted on 11/7/10 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
It shouldn't flicker at idle ---either low oil pressure or idle speed way to low.

As for reversing the operation wire it through a change over relay.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

RazMan

posted on 11/7/10 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
A relay on a sensor??? Sounds like the sensor is not right for the clocks or you have the signal and earth wires the wrong way round. Some sensors put out a rising voltage for rising oil pressure, some have falling voltage for rising pressure.

Probably a good idea to get a Ford sensor and stick with that.

[Edited on 11-7-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 11/7/10 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of Japanese cars had an oil pressure switch that works this way it was wired to main relay to turn the fuel and spark off if the engine wasn't running.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Stott

posted on 11/7/10 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
I though the single wire switches were short to earth below the set pressure, then open circuit above.

Your problem would indicate the switch is open circuit until the rated pressure is reached then it goes short to earth. You'd probably be best replacing the switch for one with a known pressure value which shorts to earth when it's not pressurised. Or you'll end up having to put a relay in to switch the light via the pressure switch's output.

You just want a single wire oil pressure switch, of the correct thread, which is rated at what you want such as one of these: LINK

This would work with your standard ford clocks and oil light.

It almost sounds like you are trying to connect a pressure sender to an oil light rather than a guage.

Sender - guage
Switch - oil light

HTH
Stott

Stott

posted on 11/7/10 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
A lot of Japanese cars had an oil pressure switch that works this way it was wired to main relay to turn the fuel and spark off if the engine wasn't running.

That's a good idea but quite mad, how would it ever start though?!? My cars never achieve enough oil pressure while cranking to extinguish the light, if that was the case the fuel and spark would never be on!

britishtrident

posted on 11/7/10 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stott
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

That's a good idea but quite mad, how would it ever start though?!? My cars never achieve enough oil pressure while cranking to extinguish the light, if that was the case the fuel and spark would never be on!

Honda used this system also Rover used it on a lot of models the main relay is also energised while the starter is in operation on more recent models the engine ECU powers the main engine relay for x seconds after the igntion is switched on or the starter is operated.

matt_gsxr

posted on 11/7/10 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
So, from what I am reading.

Oil pressure high, switch closed
Oil pressure low, switch open

I think what you need is a pull-up resistor. Effectively if you wire the bulb across the switch, with a resistor (something l a 100Ohm with decent power handling), then it will do the sort of things that you want. The only downside is that the bulb will not be quite as bright.

Alternatively relay, or transistors.

Matt

Neil P

posted on 12/7/10 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
okay, cheers.

gives me some ideas of where to look.

Having looked on web for AW11 dash, it does have a pressure gauge, so that may be where my problem lies - pressure sender signal to the oil light.

Neil

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.