Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Roll Cage Question
Nick DV

posted on 6/6/11 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Roll Cage Question

Please note that I do not want to start any arguments regarding whether or not a roll cage is MSA/FIA spec etc, etc.!!!!

My posting is regarding the price of cages, or in my case part of a roll cage, and I would like to get some feedback from those in the know.

My car is a Dax Rush, and it has a rear hoop with forward facing side inpact bars/stays (pics in my archive). This is acceptable by the MSA for use in sprints/hillclimbs (I have a letter from the MSA stating that fact) but as I would like some front/top protection, I have made enquires about having a front hoop and top bar set up made that could bolt on to my existing set up. The front end would bolt to plates welded to the main part of the chassis for max strength, the top bars to the existing roll over hoop. I do not intend to race the car, only use it for hillclimb/sprint/trackdays.

Given the average price that some of the well known fabricators are charging for a full cage, I estimated that the cost would be no more than £500 - I would like to think it would be less! However, the quote that I have received is over double that!!!

Now I like to think that I know a bit about the way things are designed and what goes into making them, but would someone enlighten me if I am way out on my estimation or whether the quote I have is actually far too high!

All feedback is most welcome

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

iank

posted on 6/6/11 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Well bespoke always costs a little more than off the shelf.

But for two long bits with single bends, a straight bit (or two if you have a roof diagonal) two clamps and two plates >£1000 seems very rich to me.
I'd have expected it to be much closer to your estimate.

Have you tried MK engineering (not sportscars)
From their website

Martin Keenan: Telephone numbers: Home: 01709 815740 Mobile:07956397404
E-Mail: martin@keenan7060.freeserve.co.uk
Address: 2, Addison Road, Maltby, Rotherham, South Yorkshire, S66 8DG

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

eddie99

posted on 6/6/11 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
As above, i'd try around a few other places, unfortunately they are probably charging you for more of the design as people with designs already done are churning them out easier. I would be surprised if you get down below £500 but i would have thought a little bit more would get the job done.

EDIT: thinking about it a bit more and whats involved. I wouldn't pay much over £500

[Edited on 6/6/11 by eddie99]

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
TimC

posted on 6/6/11 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Find a local fabrication firm or, if you can sketch exactly what you want, someone like Merlin will be able to do the bends. You'll then need to sort out the profile-cutting and welding.

Nick DV

posted on 6/6/11 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Ian - My thinking exactly. MK would be a little to far for me to travel, but thanks anyway.

Eddie - I thought that around the £500 was a good and fair estimate, or maybe as you say a little more. (The price I was quoted was plus VAT!!) I will shop around though.

Tim - Another one I thought of. Merlin is a good bet for the materials and bends, and I go there a fair bit. There is also a couple of rally prep places not too far from me.

Cheers, Nick

[Edited on 6/6/11 by Nick DV]

mark chandler

posted on 6/6/11 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Nick

If you are willing to weld then flat pack, front hoop, side bars and diagonal should be ~£200 above this and they are being greedy

You will need 6m CDS tube, this retails at £70-£100 depending upon size required to MSA regs.

Bends are £15 each, so 2 x 90degree front hoop and 2 x 30degree on side bars.

Fitted is a different matter but should be 1/2 days work at £50 per hour is only another £200 !

tom@tube-bender.co.uk quoted me £200 for the above as a flat pack + postage last week using 38mm x 2.5 CDS.

Regards Mark

Nick DV

posted on 6/6/11 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mark, another one that supports my estimate I will also look up the tube bender chap.

Cheers, Nick

Neil P

posted on 6/6/11 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'm planning on doing the same thing. What type of brackets are you planing on using to fix to the rear hoop?

Neil

iank

posted on 6/6/11 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Roll cages typically use this style

eBay Item

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Nick DV

posted on 6/6/11 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Roll cages typically use this style

eBay Item

I doubt I will use these. I will attach the top bars to the rear in the same way the Tiger cages are fixed - a curved plate on the end of the top bar and bolt through the rear hoop. I will post a pic later.

Cheers, Nick

femster87

posted on 6/6/11 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mate, I just dropped of my car yesterday at MKengineering for a roll cage, and its miles cheaper than that. I think that price is just abit too much. I also had a quote from someone very close to you I would U2U details, its less than £500. Plus he is mobile and quite close to you.
Nick DV

posted on 6/6/11 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by femster87
Hi Mate, I just dropped of my car yesterday at MKengineering for a roll cage, and its miles cheaper than that. I think that price is just abit too much. I also had a quote from someone very close to you I would U2U details, its less than £500. Plus he is mobile and quite close to you.

That would be spot on if you could let me have those details, I would be most grateful

Cheers, Nick

lewis

posted on 6/6/11 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate I just finished my own rollcage,jus had a roll hoop welded in before I started so for a full cage Inc rear struts cost me about £250 Inc bends and delivery a bit of time on your side fabricating will save lots of pennies and get someone else to weld it there is a good computer prog to help you work out tube angles mitres ect see my post about fitting my cage it's not to hard. Lewis.
procomp

posted on 6/6/11 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

If you have no luck give me a call or U2U. I can fabricate and fit a fully MSA compliant front end working to your budget.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nick DV

posted on 6/6/11 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Lewis - That looks good, and like you say, a good way to save some pennies.

Matt - Thanks for the offer. I know whatever you come up with will be the proper job

This post has certainly given me plenty of options and much food for thought. Just need to sort myself out now, so thanks for all the replies.

Cheers, Nick

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.