other

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Java Certification Question
sprouts-car

posted on 20/2/14 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Java Certification Question

Afternoon all,

I'm trying to improve my knowledge of Java. I've been working in Java for about 3 years and I think now would be a good time to make sure I have a complete understanding of the basics. I also would like something to show for it, so a qualification or certificate would be good. I.e. it would be useful to be able to prove I know the basics.

The two options I've found so far:

• Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 5/SE 6
  • Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 7 Programmer

Has anyone taken either of these?
My thinking is that 5/6 will be the current version used by most industries but that 7 is the way forward.
What will look better on a CV and to potential employers?

Or is there anyone option entirely?

All votes/opinions/views welcome

Build blog

HappyFather

posted on 20/2/14 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
7 builds on top of 6, so if you know 7 you know 6. Besides, although 6 is the current mainstream in big corporations, 5 is outdated and 7 is the thing on newer companies.

Two other things...

Associate certification is now on the requirement path for further certifications (it wasn't like that some years ago, when SUN controlled Java). If you intend on doing other certifications, confirm what is their certification path. But I'll bet going for the newer Java version will give you better future chances of meeting requirements without having to upgrade current certification first.

I don't know if this applies to all Java certifications, but at least with the EE Enterprise Architect (used to be called SUN Certified Enterprise Architect - SCEA) it is true... The certification has a validity period. My SCEA had a 5 year validity. Although I can mention I did SCEA on my CV, it actually is now void and a picky potential employer could disregard my cert because of that. Take that into consideration later when jumping jobs. Also when considering further certifications.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.