Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec cold starting
ttalps2000

posted on 20/6/19 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec cold starting

Currently having issues with cold starting with my 1.8 Zetec. The engine struggles to turn over, it does fire, but it does not crank at all fast as you would expect it too. Tried new battery which does 250 CCA and is exactly the same. Once its run for 20 seconds, if that its fine!

It has a raceline head on it, so i assume that the CR is higher than standard. Starter is new too and is a decent brand (from Starterman)

Any pointers or experience would be appreciated!

Thanks

furryeggs

posted on 20/6/19 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Is it a new build? I had a similar issue when first building mine... turned out it was my battery cable, changed to a bigger cable and it’s been ok since
ttalps2000

posted on 20/6/19 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
no, its done about 35k miles, but was a crate engine originally. I have 240amp cable on the starter and the earth, which is bigger than it was before with the same result
perksy

posted on 21/6/19 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried a multimeter on the battery to see if its being pulled down under cranking?

Also metered the starter to make sure your getting the right voltage ?

rusty nuts

posted on 21/6/19 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Where is the earth cable attached to? Do you have an earth cable between the chassis and the engine? If so is it large enough? Have you tried a jump lead between the battery and the engine to eliminate the earth leads ? Have you tried jump leads from a larger battery? Have you tried cranking with the coil pack disconnected? Does it crank any faster with the coil disconnected? If so it could be over advanced ignition timing ?

[Edited on 21/6/19 by rusty nuts]

ttalps2000

posted on 22/6/19 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Earth lead is attached to the bell housing next to the starter. before i relocated the battery it was directly on the starter, still the same in both scenarios. The chassis earth is also attached at this point. Previously it was directly to the battery, but again there is no difference in how it cranks. I have 240 amp battery cables, more than enough for the size of the engine. Previously i had 110 amp and was exactly the same.

Have not measured voltages whilst cranking, so will check on that. Will check if i can adjust the cranking advance on Megajolt.

ttalps2000

posted on 22/6/19 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Checked cranking advance. Was set to 12 degrees. So went to 8 and seemed worst, so increased to 20 and seems much better. Does this sound right?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.