Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Unimpressed with Flux
omega 24 v6

posted on 3/3/09 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Unimpressed with Flux

Well it's time to start searching for insurance so started the usual rounds. Flux were real offhand with me IMHO. I had emailed them back in October to get a ball park figure. I called them back tonight to sort of finalize their quote and the conversation went a bit like this.

Me Blah blah blah can you give me a quote.

Flux takes details and says oh yes we quoted you last oct and the price was XXXX based on an agreed value of £6000.

Me yes well I'm finished now and ready for the road so can you give me a quote on say an agreed value of £7000.

Flux well not really I mean these cars are "locost " they're built to a budget that's locost so I reckon we can only quote on a value of £ 5000 they're not worth much more than that

Me well that's disappointing to hear (something like that etc including my time blah blah) so what's the quote.

Flux we don't include your time in the value I mean it's not like it's a westfield or a caterham is it. So the figure is £XXXX

Me that's £20 dearer than 4 months back on a value of £1k less.

Flux yes we're not really quoting on many of these cars now isn't it a good price what's your best quote.

Me well i have better than that and am waiting on more to come in.

That was pretty much it (obviously I'm not quoting word for word) and i came off of the phone feeling pretty piss*d off and thinking "what a dick".
it's nice to see that in the current market a company can choose to be IMHO pretty abrupt and short with a possible customer so best of luck to them But in the words of a dragon ( pretty much fire breathing at the moment)

I won't be going with you at any cost I'M OUT

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

tomgregory2000

posted on 3/3/09 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
they are sh*t!!
Ive just been doing my insurance and am with MSM insurance,
They knew all about my make and model of car, they were fantastic to deal with.
There price was higher than flux but after monthly instalments they worked out cheaper.
Flux charge a huge ammount for paying monthly

Tommy

omega0684

posted on 3/3/09 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
FLUX ARE S**T IMO i rang them today and they quoted me £540

the best bloke to speak to is gary @ quoterack ring him direct 01945 465 508, he quoted me £150 less than anyone else today and i bit his arm off. if you say you know alex white with the DAX rush who he quoted today (it will be yesterday if you call him tomorrow) and say i recommended you cuz i thought his service was top notch he might sort you out with a discount. they also give discounts to kitcar club members, i said i was a member of the DAX Sporting club and the locostbuilders club and he said he would give me a discount.

here is my post earlier today

earlier post

[Edited on 3/3/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 3/3/09 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
MSM are very good, you are more likely to speak to a real person too.

Flux are particularly bad if you already have insurance with the, It used to be a different number to ring if it wasn't new business, and they just didn't answer it (maybe still is?)

Under insurance is particularly dodgy. Here's how it works-

You insure your stuff for £20,000. Someone comes along and steals something worth £1000. Insurance company comes and looks at your stuff, and says it's worth £40,000.

That means you were choosing to take half the risk yourself, therefore they only pay out half the loss, ie £500 in this example

John

cloudy

posted on 3/3/09 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'd like to post a balance to this,

I called literally 30 odd companies to insure R4 - AF were by far the most helpful on the phone and by far the best quote (£340 FC)

£8000 value, 0NCB, 23 years old, BEC, own design

I think you may have just caught the wrong sales advisor...

James

www.warnercars.com

fov

posted on 3/3/09 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Flux are useless.
When I was a bit younger I had the rally car insured with them as they were the only ones who would quote for it but they were pricks at every oppotunity. Probably all the time they have to spend dealing with chavs.

I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole now.

DaveFJ

posted on 3/3/09 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
to throw in my tuppence...
very happy with flux!

agreed value £10k for my Avon.. no questions.

me & wife to drive 6000 miles a year...

£145 plus £15 for european breakdown recovery (used twice last year!)

thats a bargain where i come from

[Edited on 3-3-09 by DaveFJ]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

deezee

posted on 3/3/09 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I had great response with Adrian Flux. Good prices, nice to deal with, called me back when asked. Nice premium as well.

Only prob at the moment is my MR2 Turbo got smacked by someone and I'd been waiting over 8 weeks to get the car back. But thats the fault of the Insurance under writer, rather than Adrian Flux, who I find very helpful and nice.

Hellfire

posted on 3/3/09 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
We too have only ever used Flux for insuring the Indy and have found them to be superb. They've always been the cheapest after a bit of negotiation but when we wrote off the first Indy, they were quick to settle the claim, much to our satisfaction and we've never had a bad experience with them.

They've never been competitive for the wifes tintop but great for the Indy.

Phil

omega 24 v6

posted on 3/3/09 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Well I'm glad for all you satisfied customers with proper branded name kitcars. But to be told that one you built yourself is not of the same quality/worth as a bought kit when it's cost around 3 1/2 K for parts ( and many of you will have spent MUCH MORE) and 3 years of time and blood/sweat then it's a bit of an insult to be told it'll never be worth /valued at more than 5K in their opinion.

cloudy

posted on 3/3/09 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Read my post - I not only built it from scratch, I designed the bloomin thing!

I would suggest you call again and explain this to another advisor. Locosts can easily be worth this much, wouldn't take more than a new bike engine, some fancy brakes and a sprinkling of carbon to take it past 5k

James

www.warnercars.com

iiyama

posted on 3/3/09 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote

Tell me about it!!!! Although Id say theres more then a sprinkling of carbon as I have a fetish for it! Oh and did i mention the titanium? LOL!

Watching this thread with interest as hopefully Ill be looking for a quote in the next 3-4weeks.........

[Edited on 3/3/09 by iiyama]

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

BenB

posted on 3/3/09 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
I use flux but only cos they promise to beat any other quote. Last year they even beat a quote where the other insurer didn't fully understand that a Honda PanEuro was a BEC Hehehehe....

Still, whoever insures me is going to hand out some when I go to insure the forced induction BEC

russbost

posted on 3/3/09 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Flux were the only people I could find who would actually give cover for my original Furore F1 with the twin engines & they have covered it ever since for around £270/280 a year, tried last year & still couldn't get anyone to quote on it.

The new car however, still looks much the same but with Toyota 4 AGE power, £145 with Footman James - RESULT!!!

Footman James have also quoted a customer who is currently just 16 & this will be his first car!!! at around £800 - I think they must be barking!!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Meeerrrk

posted on 3/3/09 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cloudy
I'd like to post a balance to this,

I called literally 30 odd companies to insure R4 - AF were by far the most helpful on the phone and by far the best quote (£340 FC)

£8000 value, 0NCB, 23 years old, BEC, own design

I think you may have just caught the wrong sales advisor...

James

must agree, 25 yrs old, something other than a clean history of driving, agreed value at £9K and cost me £300. ive rang them to change the address where i keep the car since and was very pleased with their service. they even offered to ring the landlord of the garage i rent to get the post code becuase i had written it down wrong! very helpful!

(ps the agreed value doesnt actually affect the quote price, its a £10 one off charge for the agreed value service)

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

blakep82

posted on 3/3/09 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
i hear their capacitors are pretty good though...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

omega 24 v6

posted on 3/3/09 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

i hear their capacitors are pretty good though...

Cheers Blake you've put a smile on my face LOL

02GF74

posted on 4/3/09 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
I had the kit car and currently have Land Rover insured with them. They are good on price but I dislike certain little tjhings that are starting to pee me off.

Try to ring them is a joke - if I have to wait more than 2 minutes, which IMO is an age, the phone gets put down. I have yet to speak to someone.

For the LR they slapped on renewal fee, about £ 25. I did not renew, then when I wanted to be insured, I rang for quote and guess what, a couple quid extra but nor renewal fee. They can shove that fee up the a%%%

Then they wanted photos for agreed value. LR had not MOT so did not send them and explained. About 3 months on after being insured, they hassled me again and I got MOT and the photos. Zipped them up, sorry sir we could not read the zip!! WTF??!?!?!

So I sent photo attached to email. Sorry sir, we appear not to have photo of engine bay or rearside. WTF?!?!?!?

So I set e-mail again with those 2 phots.
Sorted.

They did not repsond via e-mail but via post - WTF?!?!?!?!? modern technology too difficult?

really quite frustrating.

grazzledazzle

posted on 4/3/09 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
I would read your policies with flux from cover to cover twice.
I would not insure a thing with them.

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 4/3/09 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
I've got my bike, my tin top and my MNR VortX insured with AF and have had no issues so far. VortX is agreed value £23,000 and premium was £180. As previously mentioned, sounds like you got a bad rep.

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

tomprescott

posted on 4/3/09 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
So what have you guys put your annual mileage at?
wilkingj

posted on 4/3/09 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with KGM via Graham Sykes.

3.5Litre V8
3k miles
Parts ONLY. I built it, I'll repair it
Me and the Wife driving (Both over 50).
£180.

I would not go with Firebond either. I can relate a very bad story of a mate and his claim.

EDIT:
Coo I'm paying 6p per mile for insurance

[Edited on 4/3/2009 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 15/3/09 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
I use Adrian Flux and find them great.

I have used them for my road car for the last 10 years, and also for the locost now as well.

They came in at £110 fully comp, £6k agreed value for 200hp XE powered locost, I was 30 when they quoted that, with no no-claims discount on that policy (though they took account of my other policy with them with 0 claims in 10 years)

I also insure my BMW road cars with them, 740i and now 525 tds, and they are competitive with anybody else on those too.

Yea they come in at more each year, and each year I beat them back down again but that's business.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Ninehigh

posted on 16/3/09 at 03:33 AM Reply With Quote
All insurers are tools.

Direct line "hate to be beaten on price" which is why when I rang them about my Mondeo they quoted me £600 MORE than anyone else and an £800 excess! I didn't have an £800 excess with them when I was 20, so why now I'm 29? I told them they were taking the p!ss so he said he's drop the excess to £500, but the premium would be an extra £300. When I repeated that he was taking the p!ss on BOTH counts he said that's the quote. *click* next!

Btw I was messing about getting a rough quote off AF and they gave me £350 for a 1800cc "caterham" (closest I could find)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.