Board logo

radiator question
omega0684 - 1/2/10 at 09:32 AM

radtec are offering to powder coat radiators for £35, but why would you powder coat a radiator surely it would make the rad less efficient?

Cheers

sucksqueezebangblow - 1/2/10 at 09:50 AM

Black surfaces radiate (and absorb) heat faster than lighter surfaces. Equally, powder coat probably has insulating properties that might reduce heat transfer, so it is really a question of whether one effect (radiation) is greater than the other (insulation).

Mark Allanson - 1/2/10 at 09:53 AM

If the YTS kid had mistakenly painted a load or rads, what would you do with them?

speedyxjs - 1/2/10 at 10:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by sucksqueezebangblow
Black surfaces radiate (and absorb) heat faster than lighter surfaces. Equally, powder coat probably has insulating properties that might reduce heat transfer, so it is really a question of whether one effect (radiation) is greater than the other (insulation).

I just sprayed mine with hammerite

Il be getting a new one post IVA anyway.

r1_pete - 1/2/10 at 10:25 AM

I'd guess its just the tanks, not the matrix, powder coating that would surely make the rad useless.

Bluemoon - 1/2/10 at 01:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
I'd guess its just the tanks, not the matrix, powder coating that would surely make the rad useless.

dito, unless the coating thickness is small, I doubt powder coating process works that well anyhow for the matrix as you need a local electric feild to get the powder to attract, and there will not be any between the fins as they are at the same potential (at least that's my understanding)...

A thin coat of paint/powder coat would be fine.

Dan

[Edited on 1/2/10 by Bluemoon]

ReMan - 1/2/10 at 10:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
radtec are offering to powder coat radiators for £35, but why would you powder coat a radiator surely it would make the rad less efficient?
Cheers

Presumably to make them look more original on older moters?