Board logo

ICE Advice - what to buy.
zilspeed - 1/2/10 at 08:30 PM

The new Zilbus has a dead wireless and ther error code on the head unit means it is conspicuously quiet.

The steering wheels has controls which it would be nice to keep.
I have done some searching and apprently I need about 17 looms to retain the steering wheel controls and I also need a compatible head unit which will allow such remote control.

Recommend me a suitable head unit which does SD card / Usb / Jack input and what bits do I need to hook it up to the knobs on the steering wheel.

The Zilbus is a 2001 Citroen synergie.

flak monkey - 1/2/10 at 08:33 PM

I always rate Alpine stuff for car audio.

I have a mid range unit, that has support for Ipod (cable in glovebox), aux in on the front, mp3 cd and USB in as well.

All my music is on a couple of 8GB micro USB sticks (about £12 each) and thats it sorted. It also has bluetooth built in

I dont think it will work with oem controls though.

It was about £160 IIRC

mookaloid - 1/2/10 at 08:39 PM

surely you can get something out of a top of the range Citroen which will fit and will retain the steering wheel controls?

perhaps send all the output through a power Amp and upgrade the speakers to get that authentic chavvy thud thud as you go to the shops

zilspeed - 1/2/10 at 09:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
surely you can get something out of a top of the range Citroen which will fit and will retain the steering wheel controls?

perhaps send all the output through a power Amp and upgrade the speakers to get that authentic chavvy thud thud as you go to the shops

It's not really a Citroen, it's a Joint PSA / Fiat venture, so any such swap is unlikely.
And there'll will be no doof doof upgrades.

marcjagman - 1/2/10 at 09:50 PM

When I used to build sound systems for the youngsters, upwards of 3000 watts, I used to use Sony Xplod, good quality, good sound and all round good piece of kit for the money as they are not expensive and I believe a lot of them can be used with vatious steering wheel controls.

dan__wright - 1/2/10 at 10:28 PM

Sony Xplod is not good kit.

as for max wats figures, ignore these, look at rms.

one of my amps that i was using for my front speakers produces 1599w on its birth certificate but 4* 50W rms @ 4 ohms

if you just want a headunit you will be fine with an alpine

the steering wheel interface is made of 3 parts

a cable specific to the car, a cable specific to the headunit and a box that sits between them, dead easy!

if you want more then u2u me and i will point you in the right direction.

[Edited on 1/2/10 by dan__wright]

rayward - 1/2/10 at 10:30 PM

I have an very lightly used apline head unit for sale, has full ipod +usb (no sd card i'm afraid)you can also add bluetooth handsfree , can be used with citroen controls using adapter from connects2 or alpine

u2u me if your interested ?

cheers
Ray

zilspeed - 1/2/10 at 10:53 PM

Chaps

I have no desire to add powerfull amps.
As a matter of fact, I have a couple of Crown XLS602s, proper power amps, I use these with a pair of 15" subs, 12" mids and compression driver top end. So, I don't really bother with stuff like that for the car, if I'm going to move air, I prefer to do it in a room that suits it, not a car

Ray, I'll send you a U2U.

Cheers

jambojeef - 1/2/10 at 11:00 PM

Im a blaupunkt fan. Moved my head unit between 3 cars and never had a problem plus my knackered ears seem to think it sounds good too...

Check out:

www.bluespot.co.uk

Good prices I reckon and in the accessories bit there are adaptors to fit most cars so you can keep your buttons on your 'wheel.

Geoff

dhutch - 2/2/10 at 01:26 AM

We have a y-reg 806 (same car near enough) but im stuggling to think what the setup for the wheel buttons are.

On the simularly aged 306 which has a very simular headunit my dad was able to get an 'inteligent adapter' to make a sony head unit work with the stick control as he wanted to be able to play .net LP MD's in the car.
- I have now transfered said box to my 306 (aquired with a flashy shity sony head unit) and this also works. Although to be honest it gets that 'soupy' through the converter compaired to the factory setup that i just just the buttons on the dam thing becuase its quicker.

I can also confirm for my exposure to sony head units that they are utterly shite.
- In three years dad go through two headunits (sony xplop)because they just packed up and died and the supplier didnt want to know. And mine randomly changes between Radio/CD/Aux in each time you turn on the key or between FM1/2/3/LW largly as i feels fit. Despight being wired up right and remembering radio presets.

Get a blaupunkt /kenwood after enquiring about smart adapters.

Then you can make sure of the swishy little up and over headunit cover to stop the pikey nob ends nicking it.

*Apploges for typos, its cold, fingars are buggered, and i eed to go to bed

Daniel