Board logo

new tyre recomendations
theconrodkid - 1/4/21 at 12:48 PM

my tintop needs some new boots (185/60/15), it dont go too far and it dont go too fast, i have had a look online and all the companies look to be pretty similar, cheapo ditchfinders are only a couple of quid cheaper than dunlop etc, any recomendations before i pop across the road to where my MOT is going to happen and pass some hard earned over to titfit

mcerd1 - 1/4/21 at 04:38 PM

^^ I've been using these Goodyears for the last couple of years: link y

got a set on the wife's car and my tin-top as its summer tyres - they were also the OE ones on my mum's Yeti.
they grip well wet & dry - don't cost too much in normal sizes - so all good

and they seem to last pretty well too - so far I'm getting 2x / 3x as many miles out as set compared to some others I've had
(I'm not know for being kind to my tyres either - I used to love the grip and feel of vredestein sportrac 3's on the old tin-top - but I could burn through the best grip they had in less than 5000 miles )

at £62 I'd say they are a bargain! (having paid £120 each for the wife's weird size ones)

[Edited on 1/4/2021 by mcerd1]

theconrodkid - 1/4/21 at 05:42 PM

thanks for that Mcerd1, ditchfinders are only £10 cheaper so that sounds like a no brainer, maybe i should rephrase my question, where would you buy them from ?

mcerd1 - 1/4/21 at 06:58 PM

I've used mytyres in the link above before without any issues - mind you I just got them delivered to me and used my own local tyre fitters (I have several good ones here - not quickfit or farmers)

just remember that £62 price isn't including fitting - £8 - £15 per corner depending on the garage.
if you go with there fitting partners it does tell you the fitting price before you pay at least.

I've searched a bit more and blackcircles are actually doing them even cheaper mail order only (but a bit more fitted):
https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/goodyear/efficientgrip-performance/185/60/R15/H/84/m?tyre=32108724

but I'd shop around locally first - I can easily get them for the same price fitted down the road here:
https://www.eastlintontyres.co.uk/TyreSearch/Details/10092/Goodyear+EfficientGrip+Performance+18560R15

and you might find an even better deal...
(I did look up the price in quickfit & farmers just for a laugh - £5 extra in one and £10 more in the other - really I don't know how they get any work... )

[Edited on 1/4/2021 by mcerd1]

mark chandler - 1/4/21 at 07:36 PM

Buy a second hand car and it comes with second hand tyres, if your saving money get some high end part worn tyres

roadrunner - 1/4/21 at 11:30 PM

I get mine from Camskill. Never found anyone cheaper.

theconrodkid - 8/4/21 at 08:34 PM

back again
thanks for the replies peeps, al done and passed the MOT with no bother