Board logo

Any of you lot in Bristol have a hydraulic press?
tegwin - 8/6/22 at 03:11 PM

do any of you lovely lot live in Bristol and happen to have a hydraulic press? I need to change the wheel bearings in my uprights and my usual approach of "twat it with a hammer" is not working

nick205 - 8/6/22 at 08:03 PM

If nobody on here has one do you have a garage you use regularly for repairs, MOTs, etc?

If so they'll likely have a press a do it for you.

tegwin - 8/6/22 at 10:25 PM

Not a bad shout.

Was hoping to press them out and then strip/paint before inserting new but if push comes to shove il paint them and then get the bearings done by the garage.

Mr Whippy - 8/6/22 at 10:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Not a bad shout.

Was hoping to press them out and then strip/paint before inserting new but if push comes to shove il paint them and then get the bearings done by the garage.

same here, my local garage just points me at the machine, sometimes I'm very lazy and even pay them to do things like swap over bushes.

Sanzomat - 9/6/22 at 07:23 AM

I pulled out and pushed back in the bearings in my uprights using one of those big screw tools a bit like this link worked a treat. I'm up in Yate if you want to give it a go

rusty nuts - 9/6/22 at 07:32 AM

If it is a case of getting the outer races out of the uprights a very useful dodge is to strip out until just the races are left then run a bead around the inside of the bearing using a high setting which has the affect of shrinking the outside diameter . They will often drop out without any hammering