Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine crane frame for a garage
DIY Si

posted on 12/1/10 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Engine crane frame for a garage

Afternoon.

Another quick question. It's been a good long while since I last did any mechanical bending stress calculations, so I've decided to ask you lot instead!

I'm looking at putting a frame across the middle of my garage. The frame will both help support the currently unsupported centre of the roof joists so I can use the roof space for some light weight storage and act as a frame for an engine crane to run on. The frame will be bolted to the floor and have no other support, unless needed.

What size I beam would be wise to use? The total load should not exceed 500 kgs of engine/box/crane in the centre of the beam plus the weight of whatever I put in the roof space, so maybe 300kgs including me crawling around.

Yes, I know I should get an engineer involved, but I don't see the point in spending money on something that I'm sure I can over-engineer all by myself.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Tatey

posted on 12/1/10 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Im an inexperienced undergrad Mechanical Engineering student so i might be able to offer a little bit of help.

I think we may need a bit more information such as, how wide is the frame going to be, how is the frame going to be supported e.g. just at the far edges or will there be a middle support?

[Edited on 12/1/10 by Tatey]

mcerd1

posted on 12/1/10 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not an expert on cranes but I have designed one before

as above, some more details would help

-

DIY Si

posted on 12/1/10 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, I knew I'd left something out!

Width is 2.5m, height is 2.3m and the frame support will be a steel foot plate at both edges, so no central support.
The total load should not be greater than 2000 kgs, just to be on the safe side, although a safety factor wouldn't hurt. The frame will be made from common structural steel.

Anything else I've forgotten?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

dhutch

posted on 12/1/10 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, you should be able to do it as a first year mech end (im now 5th year, so forgotten it all)

The key peice of infomation would the lenght of the beam, then assume simply supported at each end, material will be a mild steel most likely (proberbly box section or I section) and then assume both loads act together (call it a ton) in the center of the beam (worse case) and see what numbers it gives you.

Thinner wall larger sections will be cheaper for the same strengh/deflection as steel is basicaly sold by the ton and ofcause hieght gives you stiffness/stenght rather than width although dont forget its still got to not buckle sideways if the engine swings a little (you might not be calc'ing this is all)

Try something like a 4*2inch 3mm wall square section beam. Proberbly overkill but more than enough. Might also be worth looking at a local scrapsteel/reclamtion place for a bargin section of steel.

Otherwise look at sections of gantry ebay. Cheapest option might actaully be 10ft of secondhand ex-indusrty I-section crane gantry and a gantry hoist, partiuarly if you can get one from a liquidator (sadly).

Daniel

Davey D

posted on 12/1/10 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
i think im using a 178x102 beam in my garage to run my electric winch along
DIY Si

posted on 12/1/10 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, just to be awkward, the beam needs to be an I beam, so I can run a crane along it as well!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

mcerd1

posted on 12/1/10 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
don't worry I beams are 2/3 the price of box sections for the same weight

do you think you could sketch up roughly what you want (to save any confusion)

for the students out there:

your basically designing the steel to BS5950-1, but this will get you to add loads from BS2573-1 as well

this will give you a 1.6* factor on the imposed loads

steel grade will be S275 JR (unless you find some of that cheap european stuff S235)

[edit] btw - I also did mech eng at uni, I was in 1st year in 1999 - so I don't remember much of that - but I've been designing structural steelwork for the last 6 years so I should manage to come up with something (I'll have a look later tonight)

[Edited on 12/1/10 by mcerd1]

-

bartonp

posted on 12/1/10 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Google 'superbeam' software....
zilspeed

posted on 12/1/10 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
My setup won't carry the weight you're looking for, but it may give you some ideas.

The hoist of zil.

[Edited on 12/1/10 by zilspeed]

fesycresy

posted on 12/1/10 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
It's a long time since my 1st year BEng, but I go by a different principle now.

What's kicking around on site that I can rob

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

DIY Si

posted on 14/1/10 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Come on then you engineers. Having been a student I know you've not had much else to do!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

mcerd1

posted on 14/1/10 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
u2u me your e-mail address

-

mcerd1

posted on 14/1/10 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
you've got mail

[Edited on 14/1/10 by mcerd1]

-

DIY Si

posted on 14/1/10 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
So do you now!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.