New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bmw brake problem
locostbuyer83

posted on 24/1/10 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
bmw brake problem

Hi Guys,

Some expert knowledge needed pls...

Brakes on my 330ci have gone wrong.

driving along the motorway and press the brakes, they dont feel soft, more like wood! very little if anything happens for a second or so and then they kick in but still feel a bit rubbish.

once they are warmed up (few pumps they improve but not as good as they used to be)

driving around town. soft predal but they do bite but its not very strong.

kick the brake pedal, the pedal drops quickly and the ABS goes mad but the car barely slows.

changed the brake fluid, no change.

ideas????

Thanks

[Edited on 24/1/10 by locostbuyer83]

rusty nuts

posted on 24/1/10 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Switch the engine off and pump the brake pedal until hard. Start the engine with your foot on the brake and you should feel the pedal sink. If not check the servo/vacuum hose , problem sounds like the servo isn't working.More than likely a split hose.
locostbuyer83

posted on 24/1/10 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Switch the engine off and pump the brake pedal until hard. Start the engine with your foot on the brake and you should feel the pedal sink. If not check the servo/vacuum hose , problem sounds like the servo isn't working.More than likely a split hose.

with the engine off i pumped the brake pedal
switched the engine on
the pedal gently sunk

any other ideas?

rusty nuts

posted on 24/1/10 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
In that case remove the brake pads, clean and lubricate the edges and backs of the pads with copper grease . Make sure each piston returns freely and any sliding mechanism is free and lubricated. It could be your problem is the pads siezed in the calipers
locostbuyer83

posted on 24/1/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
In that case remove the brake pads, clean and lubricate the edges and backs of the pads with copper grease . Make sure each piston returns freely and any sliding mechanism is free and lubricated. It could be your problem is the pads siezed in the calipers

oh ok thank you

skinned knuckles

posted on 24/1/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like a contact problem with pads to disc. as suggested by rusty nuts. strip, grease and rebuild calipers. making sure all the pistons move with a bit of a squeeze. also check rears for same problem.

[Edited on 24/1/10 by skinned knuckles]

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

tomgregory2000

posted on 24/1/10 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Was it raining when you felt this? or wet on the ground?

the only reason i ask this is because i took a 54 plate 330 turbo d auto down through france and when i was going down the motorway and it was raining you would go for the brake and it would feel like they were not working at all for a couple of seconds, was fecking scary doing well over a ton and some fecker pulls out in front of you.

If you get the same feeling then its just water on the discs and it burning off before they start to work.

Ive never felt it in any other car but in the dry they felt normal.

[Edited on 24/1/10 by tomgregory2000]

locostbuyer83

posted on 24/1/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
Was it raining when you felt this? or wet on the ground?

the only reason i ask this is because i took a 54 plate 330 turbo d auto down through france and when i was going down the motorway and it was raining you would go for the brake and it would feel like they were not working at all for a couple of seconds, was fecking scary doing well over a ton and some fecker pulls out in front of you.

If you get the same feeling then its just water on the discs and it burning off before they start to work.

Ive never felt it in any other car but in the dry they felt normal.

[Edited on 24/1/10 by tomgregory2000]

It all started on the motorway to scotland. Yes it was very cold and wet so wet discs was understandable but its not really recovered since.

cars been off the road since xmas cause the brakes feel proper broken.

Mark G

posted on 24/1/10 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Get them checked on an mot stations brake rollers. Last time I had that problem it was a sticking calliper.

Mark
(BMW tech)

locostbuyer83

posted on 3/2/10 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
--- UPDATE ---

just to update this thread, i took all the brakes apart and greased and its fine now.

Think lack of use and winter weather caused it.

Thanks everyone for advise.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.