Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help with pulley name in English
Alez

posted on 1/2/10 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Help with pulley name in English

Guys,

I want to look for a pulley on Ebay.co.uk but I don't know it's name. It's an expensive one, it drives a belt that moves the power steering and alternator. I've searched for "vauxhall frontera pulley" and I got many results for "crankshaft pulleys"? Is that what I'm looking for or maybe that's the main timing pulley?

Thanks a lot.

twybrow

posted on 1/2/10 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
Auxiliary belt, or auxiliary pulley. Can also be referred to as the serpentine belt.

It could be the crankshaft pulley - this is the large pulley at the bottom of the engine.

MakeEverything

posted on 1/2/10 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Havent you got a man-uel?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

blakep82

posted on 2/2/10 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Havent you got a man-uel?

oh dear...

crankshaft pulley is what i'd call it. i assume the pulley you want is the one bolted to the crank shaft?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Alez

posted on 2/2/10 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
The car is in a garage who is asking lots for a repair. Tomorrow I'll be able to confirm with them if the pulley is bolted to the crankshaft and I will ask them the part number, but it really looks like it's this "crankshaft pulley" on the search results, only they "buy now" price is half of what they've said over the phone today

No operation "manuel"

James

posted on 2/2/10 at 01:57 AM Reply With Quote
What on earth has gone wrong that it needs a new pulley?

I can't think of much that would break that without needing a lot of other stuff... like a whole new engine!

It's not a tensioner pulley that's gone is it? These are a serviceable part.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

mad4x4

posted on 2/2/10 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Only thing that usually goes WRONG with a pulley is that it was slack and the Key way has worn.

If it is an Idler Pulley like the on Vaxhall Vetcra's etc. These are advised to be changed dooing Cam (timing) belt changes.

What is up with the car as we may be able to diagnose?

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Alez

posted on 2/2/10 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the help, guys. I've been in the garage today and now I know the story. This engine (Vauxhall's 2.2 DTI) has one belt only as the the valve train is chain driven internally. It's got this "crankshaft pulley" for this belt to move a few different things. The pulley is very special and pretty complex for a pulley (I had it in my hand), it's got a plate, a ring, and some intermediate piece that's not made of steel or metal, but some kind of hard rubber? That's why it's so expensive. I've missed the opportunity to buy the aftermarket part from Ebay, when I got there, the new pulley was in place and the belt was being placed
BenB

posted on 2/2/10 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Torsional vibration damper / harmonic balancer type pulley
Alez

posted on 2/2/10 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Out of curiosity, do you know what material actually is that middle bit made of?
Angel Acevedo

posted on 3/2/10 at 03:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
Only thing that usually goes WRONG with a pulley is that it was slack and the Key way has worn. ...

Or,
If it is a harmonic pulley, and they applied the wrong type of pulley puller then it was their fault as most likely it´s `f+++ed....

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alez

posted on 3/2/10 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Or,
If it is a harmonic pulley, and they applied the wrong type of pulley puller then it was their fault as most likely it´s `f+++ed....

Not the case, the owner of this car confirmed that the pulley broke while driving. She could not steer so she had a look to the engine and saw this pulley in two pieces.

...But I thought the same until she told me that.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 4/2/10 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alez
quote:
Or,

Not the case, the owner of this car confirmed that the pulley broke while driving. She could not steer so she had a look to the engine and saw this pulley in two pieces.

...But I thought the same until she told me that.

Well, maybe not your mechanics fault, but hers, even after the pulley is damaged it may run for a while until the rubber detaches completely.
They could fail also if one of the accessories seizes suddenly....

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alez

posted on 5/2/10 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Angel AcevedoWell, maybe not your mechanics fault, but hers, even after the pulley is damaged it may run for a while until the rubber detaches completely.
They could fail also if one of the accessories seizes suddenly....

Yes, it sounds likely that she may have save money by stopping the engine quickly when the belt broke. No accesory seized, they are all working alright.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.