Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: help with car door lock
jabbahutt

posted on 3/2/10 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
help with car door lock

Morning all

I'm hoping someone on here can help as I'm in a pickle with my run around. It's a 22 year old Nova merit (no laughing at the back) unlocked the door this morning to go to work and had a bit of fun as it was icy and it's sluggish to unlock with the key when it's cold.

Any hoo went to shut the door and it won't, the latch in the door appears to be in the locked position so the door won't close it just's hits the stud it normally goes over. I've tried using the key to reset and nothing happens.

Any ideas as to how to get the lock open when it should already be unlocked? it's all mechanical no electrics involved.

Many thanks, really need the run around as the wife requires the other car due to our 7 week old daughter.

cheers in advance
Nigel

turbodisplay

posted on 3/2/10 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
You need to pull the handel when door is unlocked.
If that does not work, the lockin mech is at the bottom. Push the pawl down with a coat hanger.
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jabbahutt

posted on 3/2/10 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
How would I pull the handle as the door is open but the latch on the door is closed as if locked?

I've tried the key and the small plastic knob thing that moves up when the door is unlock and neither have any effect.

So I've had to leave the car with the door just pushed as closed as it will go but it won't close flush.

britishtrident

posted on 3/2/10 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
You need to pull the handle as normal and at the same time ease the latch back with a screw driver.
jabbahutt

posted on 3/2/10 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
ah now I understand, thank you both I'll try it when I get home later.

wife isn't too impressed with me taking the other car as I didn't realise it had the pram etc in the boot so she is stuck in the house.

Cheers again for the assistance.

l0rd

posted on 3/2/10 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jabbahutt
ah now I understand, thank you both I'll try it when I get home later.

wife isn't too impressed with me taking the other car as I didn't realise it had the pram etc in the boot so she is stuck in the house.

Cheers again for the assistance.

Go back home and give her the car. Otherwise, she might get your kc out.

jabbahutt

posted on 3/2/10 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Oh the shame, I'll understand if I'm asked to leave the forum as my usual low standards for understanding all things mechanical have sunk to new lows.

I looked at the lock problem for about 20 minutes before giving up this morning. I've just rung the boss(wife) and she tells me she's fixed it!!! it was easy she says I'll show you what to do incase it happens again!!
I wouldn't mind but she hates all things technical and oily, maybe I should let her do the next project and I'll mind the nipper.

blakep82

posted on 3/2/10 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
my bmw did that on the coldest morning. the lock was froze. loads of grease, oil, and wd40 later, it works better than ever. i think wetness in the lock just froze

chances are it just warmed up when she looked at it

[Edited on 3/2/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mcerd1

posted on 3/2/10 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
the boot on my focus is doing that again (the cold isn't helping but I think I've got bigger problems - its been doing it for 6 months...)
a quick spray of WD40 sorted it last time, but it didn't work this time
(having to unlock it with the key, then unlock it again with the remote/dash button before it will close again)

[Edited on 3/2/10 by mcerd1]

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.