Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I can't wait - 5 full days to work on the car
eznfrank

posted on 17/2/10 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I can't wait - 5 full days to work on the car

After my bit of a moan last week about never having time to work on the car I realised that I had a few more days holiday than I thought so I've got tomorrow through to Tuesday off to spend in the garage.

And even better, the missus has plans every evening and is off to her parents this weekend so she'll be out the way.

I've already lined all the parts on the kitchen table ready to go in

WOOOHOOOOO

Bluemoon

posted on 17/2/10 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Cool, can recommend getting organized before hand.. The number of times I had a few days to build only to discover I needed X, X the takes 3hrs to get wasting a good part of the day..

Dan

vinny1275

posted on 17/2/10 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Ditto that ^

Make a list of the jobs, and try and figure out if you need any nuts, bolts, wotsits or gizmos beforehand.... Finding you need something really crucial when you're halfway through a job, and covered in oil, then having to drive round town to try and find one, on a Sunday, is a pain in the @rse...

Cheers

Vince

boggle

posted on 17/2/10 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
good stuff

if i want any time off i have to give a months notice....even for a half day.....

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

MikeCapon

posted on 17/2/10 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
And even better, the missus has plans every evening and is off to her parents this weekend so she'll be out the way.

I've already lined all the parts on the kitchen table ready to go in

Have you got that in the right order? I usually wait till she's gone out before bringing my toys into the house

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 17/2/10 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with all above.
I used an old Secondary Double Glazing pane (in a frame) Painted the back with white paint, then write on the other side with board marker pens.
Its great to have somewhere to do quick calculations, or put reminders to buy something, etc etc.
Also it was dead cheap, and only cost me the paint which was under the bench anyway.

Talk to a local double glazier, they are usually glad to be rid of them. (Trade waste costs money to get rid of at the tip)

Good locost idea!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
contaminated

posted on 17/2/10 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
I just use the garage wall!
Bluemoon

posted on 17/2/10 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by contaminated
I just use the garage wall!

I write on the plastic coating of the ali panel.. Whole car looked gratified till the day came to remove it!

bodger

posted on 17/2/10 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Once she's out the house you can use the dishwasher to clean up the parts & the oven to bake the painted bits.
MikeR

posted on 17/2/10 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
If you can - figure out some jobs that are completely not related, even better if some are in the house jobs. Also try and figure out some really quick win / simple jobs and ... have a list you can tick the jobs off.

This way ...
when you get stuck you can move on quickly to something else.
If you get cold you can do something productive in the house.
If you're losing motivation you can do some quick wins and feel like your progressing
and when you cross lots of jobs off you'll feel like you've achieve something (and can show the other half you've not wasted your time.

good luck - i had five days off in the summer where i stripped the chassis and did all the final welding. Almost killed me in the heat. Of course i still need to weld up some bits even now but it felt good making progress. Inspired and off into the garage tonight (swmbo willing).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.