Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Used Garage Equipment
speedyxjs

posted on 18/2/10 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Used Garage Equipment

Im back!!!

Had a few (loads) pc problems so havnt posted for a few days but all is now sorted

Im setting up a garage in the next few months and thought i could save some money if i could find some decent used equipment (ramps compressor etc)

Iv had a google but cant really find much. I thought id ask if anyone here had dealt with or know of anywhere?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

zilspeed

posted on 18/2/10 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Find out which newspaper where you live carries details of liquidation auctions.
Around these parts, it has traditionally been the Glasgow Herald.

You can go on the day and bid for your item and at some of the auctions, hauliers are in attendance to move the stuff for you.
You won't buy cheaper.

tomprescott

posted on 18/2/10 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Find out which newspaper where you live carries details of liquidation auctions.
Around these parts, it has traditionally been the Glasgow Herald.

You can go on the day and bid for your item and at some of the auctions, hauliers are in attendance to move the stuff for you.
You won't buy cheaper.

On a similar note if you don't mind older equipment lots of garages sell ramps and things on the cheap when they upgrade to newer stuff.

richardR1

posted on 18/2/10 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Give these guys a try Used Garage Equipment I know they are a long way from you but they travel the country removing and installing equipment. I know them through local motor club as they are into rallying.

MK Owners Club Member 1015

oadamo

posted on 18/2/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
Im back!!!

Had a few (loads) pc problems so havnt posted for a few days but all is now sorted

Im setting up a garage in the next few months and thought i could save some money if i could find some decent used equipment (ramps compressor etc)

Iv had a google but cant really find much. I thought id ask if anyone here had dealt with or know of anywhere?

make sure what power you have first 240/3 phase before buying ramps, not that i bought a set of ramps i couldnt use myself look at the new prices first before you buy second hand as theres not much in it.
adam

Steve Hignett

posted on 18/2/10 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
What kind of garage are you setting up? Is it for car maintenance?

Sorry, for the hijack, I meant to ask a few weeks ago!

will121

posted on 18/2/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
are you setting up a garage service trading business? if so be carefull when getting second hand equipment, things like vehicle ramps requiring 6monthly competant person inspections and if wire roped ones potentially require 6 yearly replacement of load ropes which can quickly turn a second hand bargin into nothing, have you looked at lease equipment? also compressors in the work place should have written scheems of inspection (but nont know if many do!!)
oadamo

posted on 18/2/10 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
i got an inspection on my ramps for 90 quid couple of weeks ago.
adam

speedyxjs

posted on 18/2/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett

Yep. Servicing and MOT's. I am buying a new ATL MOT bay (Very expensive!) so really want to save some money wherever i can.

oadamo

posted on 18/2/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Yep. Servicing and MOT's. I am buying a new ATL MOT bay (Very expensive!) so really want to save some money wherever i can.

you have to be trading for 3 years to get an mot bay and have a bay for testing and parking spaces.
adam

speedyxjs

posted on 19/2/10 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oadamo
quote:
quote:

you have to be trading for 3 years to get an mot bay and have a bay for testing and parking spaces.
adam

VOSA allow you to do it straight away after having completed certain courses, one of which i am doing at the moment (finish in june)

MikeR

posted on 19/2/10 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
be careful buying second hand ramps - someone was on here saying how a lot of the second hand ramps are actually ones that fail their yearly maintenance inspection and are therefore a bit risky.
Danozeman

posted on 19/2/10 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
What ramps are you after and how big?

A new 3 tonne 2 poster isnt that much. considering what you would have to fork out to have the ropes and screws etc replaced on a shagged second hand one.

Fleet maintenance places are closing alot of workshops at the moment so you could maybe approach them?? Eg BT and i shouldnt say it as i work for them, Royal mail are shutting some soon too. They are maintained quite well aswell.

There is an ncp car park in ipswich that used to be a garage which has a not that old 4 tonne 4 poster just sitting inside the car park which no one seems to own. The garage went bust and the ramp never got taken away.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.