Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How Much Would You Pay...
scootz

posted on 25/2/10 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
How Much Would You Pay...

Been offered a reasonable 60's E-Type 2+2 bodyshell. It's completely stripped, has some surface rust, but no holes or weak point. It comes with a V5.

Love them, but no idea where to place the price... can anyone help???

It's Evolution Baby!

balidey

posted on 25/2/10 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
I was never a fan of the e-type (not sure anyone has ever said that in public before , its one of those cars that everyone expects you to like). But the 2+2 just made it look worse, totally out of proportion IMHO.

Sorry I can't help with a guide price.

scootz

posted on 25/2/10 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
^^^^Burn Him - He's Clearly a Witch!^^^^

It's Evolution Baby!

l0rd

posted on 25/2/10 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
I have a friend who has a 60 Beetle.

We will paint them both white, and we will remake the movie Herbie

scootz

posted on 25/2/10 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Can I be Lindsay Lohan???

[Edited on 25/2/10 by scootz]

It's Evolution Baby!

r1_pete

posted on 25/2/10 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
If you have an e-type you want to build into a new shell, then maybe its worth having at around the £1500 - £2K mark. The previous owner of mine had new sills & floors etc fitted professionally, the bill was £7500!! £800 worth of parts!

If you intend buying the rest of the bits and building a car out of it, forget it, they are absolute money pits. If someone gave you an E for restoration, you couldn't do it for the price of a decent one in the fitst place...

I agree the 2+2 may not be the prettiest E, the S1 coupe wins that one, if you're over 6' you'll struggle with a coupe or roadster with the hood up.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 25/2/10 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Forgot to mention there a 3 different 2+2's from the 60's:

The series 1, narrow 'mouth' side and tail lights above the bumpers, toggle switch dash.

Series 1.5 (unofficial designation), S1 Shell with some series 2 features, rocker switches for US, and later UK.

Series 2, wider 'mouth' body, side and tail lights below the bumpers, rocker switch dash.

In 71 the S3 came along with more changes.

The 2+2 never had the covered headlights the Coupe and Conv had.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 25/2/10 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
If you intend buying the rest of the bits and building a car out of it, forget it, they are absolute money pits. If someone gave you an E for restoration, you couldn't do it for the price of a decent one in the fitst place...

Thanks for that Pete... answers all my questions!

Chap was looking for £1500 and there would be a fair amount of parts to collect, so think I'll give it a miss!

Cheers!

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 25/2/10 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
PS - Sorry l0rd... no Herbie fun for us (although you could see if Pete's up for it!).

It's Evolution Baby!

r1_pete

posted on 25/2/10 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
PS - Sorry l0rd... no Herbie fun for us (although you could see if Pete's up for it!).

Depends whi I get to ride shotgun.......

l0rd

posted on 25/2/10 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Poor friend, his herbie fails the Mot a couple of years ago.

It is a 1303 i think or otherwise known as a Rust bucket. The front inner arches needs repairing and the carage that repaired the car to take it through MOT repaired it using fibreglass. :O

Now, he wants to get rid of it.

The rest of the car is in reasonable condition.

[Edited on 25/2/10 by l0rd]

02GF74

posted on 25/2/10 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

Thanks for that Pete... answers all my questions!

Chap was looking for £1500 and there would be a fair amount of parts to collect, so think I'll give it a miss!

Cheers!

I was gonna say £ 2k - basse on fact that MGB bodyshells, back when I had mine, could be purchased new fore that price, allowing inflation plus rairty/originality then what chap is aksing is not too bad.

.... but if you were planning to make up a onriginal e-type, I suspect unless you can buy a complete one with rotten shell, you are on to a money pit big time.

alternaive is to buy a Ford or some other rwd donor - maybe one of the new jags, msashed up - and do a rebody job but that will take a hoooooge amount of time.

bottom line is if you want e-type ownership, it isn't gonna be cheap.

r1_pete

posted on 25/2/10 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
bottom line is if you want e-type ownership, it isn't gonna be cheap

It isn't, I can verify that 1st hand, and I've only been doing minor tidy up bits.

Latest example, a new centre console is nearly £500 - mines getting re covered with leather from a full length coat.....

02GF74

posted on 25/2/10 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Latest example, a new centre console is nearly £500 - mines getting re covered with leather from a full length coat.....

I am still riding on the bicycle saddle covered with leather from your jacket

r1_pete

posted on 25/2/10 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:

I am still riding on the bicycle saddle covered with leather from your jacket

Yeah, used the rest of that on other bits and pieces, paid 99p and £4PP for a full length coat of ebay, cheapest way to get the material I figured....

Alan B

posted on 25/2/10 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
I was never a fan of the e-type (not sure anyone has ever said that in public before , its one of those cars that everyone expects you to like). But the 2+2 just made it look worse, totally out of proportion IMHO.

Sorry I can't help with a guide price.

FWIW I agree 100%....I never could see what the appeal was really...always seemed the windscreen was too vertical for my taste....just IMO of course

ashg

posted on 25/2/10 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
just buy the shell and make it into a racecar with proper underpinnings.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

phoenix70

posted on 25/2/10 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
bottom line is if you want e-type ownership, it isn't gonna be cheap

Remember the Marc Evan 'A Car is Re-born' series, he spend £85k on his E-type and sold it for just £43k

Ouch, now thats a big loss.

[Edited on 25/2/10 by phoenix70]

r1_pete

posted on 25/2/10 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
2+2's a bit long for a racecar, 9" longer than the coupe / conv.

The front engine/suspension frame is very 7'ish, but its reynolds tubing and welding it is a no no, no reason not to make a copy in Mild steel 2mm wall stock.

Yes, Mark Evans, spends lots on the cars he restores, the MGB was close on £20K too, wonder who actually foots the bill??

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.